Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Hooker Aero Chamber

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I don't want an obnoxious exhaust, or any drone or resonance in the cab.I'm just going to have the stock muffler cut out and the new one welded in.
You sound exactly like me

I just dont want to buy something and have to purchase another cuz I cant stand it. At least it isnt a cat back system. Would not be wanting to experiment with that and not like it...

Will you let me know what you end up going with after talking to your local shop? Thanks GMCtrk.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TS77
Okay.. Im leaning more towards the Hooker Aero Chamber now.

Cold Z71, was there much drone before you put the long tubes on with the Aero Chamber? Im not planning on going to LT's anytime soon so I dont think I will have to worry about that.

Thanks for all of your input. It makes it WAY easier than going through a couple setups until I find one that Im looking for.
There was absolutely no drone that I can recall. It was real quiet in the cab while a cruising and accellerating. But you could hear it at WOT. Removing or punching the cats will make it much louder.

If you are worried about getting the right muffler the first time, you could do what I am doing. I bought some stainless steel stepped band clamps. I will clamp the muffler in place where my stock muffler is. That way if the muffler is not to my liking all I have to do is find a 22 inch or shorter muffler and clamp it in. I have been using ss band clamps on my Pacesetters for close to a year with zero problems.

PM me if you want a set of the clamps, I bought a small case of them. I also have some three inch pipe that you weld to your stock pipe, then slip into the muffler and clamp down. Let me know if you need any help!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help ColdZ71. I think I'll be fine just welding it in, but I'll keep your offer in mind. With all of your guy's advise Im hoping that it will be the right choice. If I do end up having to change it out, Ill just cut it out and weld another back in.

I was looking at the stock muffler and they weld it in a stupid spot.. Its right after a bend and thats where the hanger is welded also.. Lame. Since Im getting a 22 inch, I'll have to cut more pipe out so should I take a small piece and weld it at the front so i have a good spot to weld the muffler to? Or should I not worry about it and just weld it right where I cut the stock out?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is a similar problem that I had. The stock pipe is 2 3/4 inch. The three inch muffler fits over it pretty loosly. That is why I am welding on some 3 inch i.d. and clamping the muffler in. Since I replaced my muffler twice, the catback is about as short as I want to go. I am using a untouched stock cat back for my new setup, and leaving my stock cutup one as a spare.

If you are carefull, and dont cut off too much pipe you will not have to add any pipe. Just be carefull how much ovelap you have when you weld close to the hanger.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Alright, I think I've got this Thanks for your help.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bro, definetly go with the Aerochamber. You will not regret it, trust me.