Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

How do I improve gas mileage??? (Air Intake kit?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I improve gas mileage??? (Air Intake kit?)

Howdy guys! With gas prices being so high lately, the HD that i know and love is starting to get a little pricey each week . It is not in danger of leaving our family but I would like to save a little bit of money on gas mileage if at all possible without sacrificing any power and without spending lots of money. I heard that getting a full intake system such as cold air can help 3 to 4 MPG; is this true and if not how much improvement can be achieved over my current 10 MPG with just an intake? Also what intake would be the best and how much should i expect to pay? What are some other methods for being able to go a little farther on each tank? Also, how come the 4L-80E is so high revving(2400 RPMs or so) @ 70 MPH as opposed to the 700R4 in our friends 97 Z71 which drops down to about 1800 RPMs @ 70 MPH; is it just gear ratios or does his tranny have a gear that acts as a 5th gear? Sorry for the long post...please help me out guys, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Black04HD
Howdy guys! With gas prices being so high lately, the HD that i know and love is starting to get a little pricey each week . It is not in danger of leaving our family but I would like to save a little bit of money on gas mileage if at all possible without sacrificing any power and without spending lots of money. I heard that getting a full intake system such as cold air can help 3 to 4 MPG; is this true and if not how much improvement can be achieved over my current 10 MPG with just an intake? Also what intake would be the best and how much should i expect to pay? What are some other methods for being able to go a little farther on each tank? Also, how come the 4L-80E is so high revving(2400 RPMs or so) @ 70 MPH as opposed to the 700R4 in our friends 97 Z71 which drops down to about 1800 RPMs @ 70 MPH; is it just gear ratios or does his tranny have a gear that acts as a 5th gear? Sorry for the long post...please help me out guys, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
You will not see 3-4 mpg more with just a cold air kit. I would take the factory airbox and cut out an opening on the side of it that is against the headlight. The purchase a K&N air filter to replace your stock unit.
Then call up Nelson for a gas miliage custom tune. Then you will see a 3-4 mpg gain.
Of course you have to keep your foot out of the throttle.
If you do a little research you will find that some cat-back exhaust systems out there are designed to increase gas miliage, performance, and a tolerant exhaust note.
Some of these other guys can help you out with picking out that type of exhaust manufacturer.
Your tranny has higher gear ratios than a Z71. You also may have a higher geared rearend. A 3.73 is in a Z71. You may have 4.10 rearend gears.

Jim
Old 05-12-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

The best thing you could do is go with a tune of some type. A programmer might help a little, but the best would come with a custom tune. A good street tune from Nelson or other tuners with reduced torque management would probably be best. The intake (Volant) really didn't help my mileage any, but it didn't hurt either. A magnaflow or comparable cat-back might help also.