Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

How do I improve my gas milage ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I improve my gas milage ?

OK I have heard people claim up 20 MPG out of a 6.0 Vortec Max, CCSB. I have been told to get this kind of milage I would need Exhaust, new intake air filter, and computer tuneing.

I would like to start with my exhaust, the truck currently has dual 3 inch exhaust from the exhaust manifolds to the muffler, it has a 3 inch cat on each side, and has two 3 inch coming out of the muffler where it Y's into a single 3 inch tailpipe.

Passenger side cat at top of pic, drivers side cat at bottom of pic.

Tailpipe

I would like to go with the Flo-Pro Big Oval,part # 2504, two, 3 inch in, two, 2 1/2 inch out, with hiden (as much as possible) turndowns. http://www.flopro.com/FP2500oval.htm I live in Californicated, so I have to keep the cats. The 2504 says the sound is moderate, I don't want any drone in the passenger compartment. Am I on the right track to better milage?
Old 08-13-2006, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The tune will make the noticeable difference in fuel economy, contact Nelson and tell him you want a gas saver tune. I wouldnt expect 20 mpg though at least not in that heavy *** truck IMO.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

That is right. It has alot to do with a good tune.
Be sure research CAI intakes before jumping on buying one, as from experience, my Volant w/ ram air took away .5 average mpg.
Go with a reputable cat-back system. Duals don't help mpg.
I'm about to change over to a Outlaw CAI kit when the Radix goes on. I've heard they work really well for N/A applications as well.
Oh yeah, keep your hwy speeds between 65-70mph. Try keep the RPM's 2500 or lower during acceleration. If you want a good mpg average, you have to sacrifice speed and acceleration.
Save the WOT bursts to a worth while race or the track. I know...I know, it just happens out of the blue when your the only one in sight......
Hell, I do it every now and then......

Jim
Old 08-14-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

drive easy! thats how ya do it.

and jim wtf where is your truck and whats going on with it? i feel out of the loop
Old 08-14-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

i think i would have an outbreak of sars before my 6.0 got 20mpg. lol. Seriously though, like stated above, contact a good tuner and get an economy tune and free up the flow in and out and stay out of it! WHATEVER you do do not install a shift kit like transgo and the likes. I have been trying to stay out of it as much as possible and it's just not even doable from a stop, cause with the shift kit and nelson tune the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts (even at part throttle) are rediculously harsh (in a good way though ) and i can't keep from doing it.

edit: avg mpg on my truck with the 6.0 and a 93 tune from Nelson driving conservative except for every now and then is about 13.5... i saw 15.1 on a road trip with cruise on 75 once and almost had a heart astroke!!

Last edited by EXTREME; 08-14-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EXTREME
i think i would have an outbreak of sars before my 6.0 got 20mpg. lol. Seriously though, like stated above, contact a good tuner and get an economy tune and free up the flow in and out and stay out of it! WHATEVER you do do not install a shift kit like transgo and the likes. I have been trying to stay out of it as much as possible and it's just not even doable from a stop, cause with the shift kit and nelson tune the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts (even at part throttle) are rediculously harsh (in a good way though ) and i can't keep from doing it.

edit: avg mpg on my truck with the 6.0 and a 93 tune from Nelson driving conservative except for every now and then is about 13.5... i saw 15.1 on a road trip with cruise on 75 once and almost had a heart astroke!!
Dissagreed.
Mine stock with Volant CAI with ram air and just a Corsa Cat-back gets an average DIC read out of 15.5-16.0 mpg (driving it easy). Top hwy speeds of 70 mph hwy. That's an average between hwy & city driving. I can get a best of 21 mpg with full tank fuel, A/C on, three people in truck, tail gate "UP", rolling stock 20's, 3.73 gears, and cruise locked in at 68 mph. it is achievable.
When it had the 93 oct live Nelson tune ,my average went to 17-18 mpg.
Driving habits have a lot to do with it. It all comes down to how reserved or tame you can be driving your vehicle.
I'm 28 years old, and have learned to calm down on driving habits a little.
When I was younger, I couldn't have cared less about mpg averages. I guess things change as you get older.
To you younger guys, your just going to have to lay off the WOT bursts a bit more to get better gas mileage. There's just no other way,.......unless you make a move to a smaller vehicle equipped with a 4 banger or small v-6 . I'm just not ready for that kind of move. If gas prices moved to 5 bucks a gallon, then I may re-think my large vehicle point of view for an everyday driver.
Until then, it aint happening.

Jim
Old 08-14-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Dissagreed.
Mine stock with Volant CAI with ram air and just a Corsa Cat-back gets an average DIC read out of 15.5-16.0 mpg (driving it easy). Top hwy speeds of 70 mph hwy. That's an average between hwy & city driving. I can get a best of 21 mpg with full tank fuel, A/C on, three people in truck, tail gate "UP", rolling stock 20's, 3.73 gears, and cruise locked in at 68 mph. it is achievable.
When it had the 93 oct live Nelson tune ,my average went to 17-18 mpg.
Driving habits have a lot to do with it. It all comes down to how reserved or tame you can be driving your vehicle.
I'm 28 years old, and have learned to calm down on driving habits a little.
When I was younger, I couldn't have cared less about mpg averages. I guess things change as you get older.
To you younger guys, your just going to have to lay off the WOT bursts a bit more to get better gas mileage. There's just no other way,.......unless you make a move to a smaller vehicle equipped with a 4 banger or small v-6 . I'm just not ready for that kind of move. If gas prices moved to 5 bucks a gallon, then I may re-think my large vehicle point of view for an everyday driver.
Until then, it aint happening.

Jim
Not sure what you disagree with, but I concur that driving habbits contribute a great deal, hwy speeds for me are around 80 to 85. Also, i guess you can't really compare my 02 6.0 to milage of a new 6.0 2wd like said vehicle. Lots of contributing factors here i suppose, 4x4, clutch fan, 33" tires, ect..

I wasn't saying 20 isn't obtainable on a new 6.0. Just not in my truck.

edit: i'm actually up on milage since new. Off the show room floor it was stuck at 11mpg with the factory HD DoughNuts. After intake, exhaust, port and polish, transgo and tune i'm up to my best of 15 and an average of 13.5 or so.

Last edited by EXTREME; 08-14-2006 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

I drive real coservative. No fast starts, no sudden stopping, my freeway speed is 60. The rpm's on the freeway are 1800-1900. I drive so slow that 1 day I was being tailgated by a red Malibu, I looked closer and it was my 80 year old mother.
The bottom line is this truck gets 15 MPG on the freeway, not 17 like the sticker on the window said when I bought it. I have 410 gears, also part of the MPG situation. I'm not complaining as my last truck got 10 MPG.
I still would like to improve my milage some, my brother has a Duramax,and is bragging about 19 MPG on the highway. I would like to get it close to that,so I could laugh at him for spending $6,000 more for the Duramax package. Plus he has to drive a stinky diesel bomb.
So back to the exhaust. Does the flow-pro like like a better flowing muffler ? It seems like a shame to get rid of a stainless dual exhaust system.
Every vehicle I've had that came with single exhaust, I spent money to have them changed over to duals. So I'm keeping the dual exhaust.
After exhaust I'll do the CAI, then the tune.
I have a 90,000 mile warranty. Will changing the computer void my warranty?

PS before all the diesel guys jump on me, let me say I had one and it sucked, I won't do that again.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Launching!

I get 16.3 mpg
95% city driving....
In the mornings I drive to work and use about 3 miles of freeway speed.

Most of the time I just cruiz... but I still get on it every once in a while, just to hear the exhaust.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Teching In

erronisme,

Do you get any interior drone from the Borla?

Quick Reply: How do I improve my gas milage ?