Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

how do you descreen your maf???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you descreen your maf???

Hey guys, anyone with advice or pics on descreening my maf. I assume you have to cut it out or people wouldnt make such a big deal about it. Trying to do as much as possible before hallsville on october 16th so any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
Hey guys, anyone with advice or pics on descreening my maf. I assume you have to cut it out or people wouldnt make such a big deal about it. Trying to do as much as possible before hallsville on october 16th so any help is greatly appreciated.
don't do it, it will allow turbulent air into your engine and won't really net you any gain.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's been proven to not net any worthwhile gains. If you're dead set on it, I have a descreened one I'll trade you + a little cash.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flyer

It's been proven to not net any worthwhile gains. If you're dead set on it, I have a descreened one I'll trade you + a little cash.
if it aint worth it then no problem. the only thing im deadset on is getting there faster but still with reliability
Old 09-12-2004, 12:29 AM
Tribe Shaman

reach in with needel nose plyers and start pulling it out, it is just set in there,
as far as a gain 35% more air flow at WOT with less resistance, the screen acts like an air dam, why run a k&n filter to improve air flow if your just going to keep the screen to hold it back.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:41 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking the screen out is not worth the headaches it can cause IMHO.

I took mine out originally and ended up putting a screened MAF back later on. It changes the reported airflow which can add more timing but, can also cause pinging. My transmission didn't seem to shift right with the descreened MAF either. This is one mod I just don't recommend doing.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Truck addict

i descreened mine and have not had any problems. as far as a gain, i couldn't tell anything. i was sold on the idea that vettes came with no screen so it must be good. so who knows. if you do take it out, be carefull and remove it gingerly so you can put it back in if you choose too. i jacked mine all up.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the opportunity to talk to the chief LS1 engine management development engineer when the 2002 LS6 was introduced. He mention they took out the screen and found almost 1 HP on an engine dyno. over the 2001 Z06. Also, they had to make a PCM change to compensate for the lack of a screen. So if you make the change, update your PCM to compensate.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget they've put the screen back in the new vettes.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

the screen is not an airdam. it straightens out the air to allow the pcm to calibrate the airflow properly. at first it will feel great. then the pcm will learn it and it will go away. the chevy engineers did find one hp on the dyno--that was above 6000 rpm's. you need the pcm to read the air properly so that it can make proper adjustments. the turbulents that move past it will cause it to go either lean or rich bepending on what kind of day it is having. leave the screen in there.

Quick Reply: how do you descreen your maf???