Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

How do you guys dent headers? What's your preferred method?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you guys dent headers? What's your preferred method?

I am changing some things around on my '70 chevy pickup and it has mild tube steel headers on it. I need to dent in one of the primaries about 1/4" to get my new clutch assembly to bolt in. I took a ballpeen hammer to it tonight (yes it's in tight quarters) and was unsuccessful in even putting a ding in it. WHen you guys need to dent your headers in, what do you do? Use heat? Get the area cherry hot, then hit it? Can a guy use an air chisel with a blunt attachment of some sort? Please give me any ideas you may have. TIA!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I would do is if it was in place while trying to so it, is get a tourch, heat it till it gets good and red in and around the area you want the dent in... Heat does wonders and it will look more uniform then a typical cold dent...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

So getting it cherry red with a torch will soften it enough that I can dent it in with only about 3 inches to swing a hammer? Does it matter if the headers are ceramic coated? By the way, this is in an area that no on would ever see, I don't give a **** what it looks like
Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The way i have done it in the past is: get a round pipe, preferrably pretty thick and about 1.5 -2in diameter. Then put the pipe longways, where you want the dent then smack the pipe with a hammer, honestly I hit it pretty hard, remember this is steel your hitting... If coated, wrap the pipe with a towel...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

More than likely getting it cherry hot will burn off the coating, at least IMO...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
What I would do is if it was in place while trying to so it, is get a tourch, heat it till it gets good and red in and around the area you want the dent in... Heat does wonders and it will look more uniform then a typical cold dent...
Wow John wouldnt expect you to use a torch. Im sure if you had to do it a long burnout would get those headers cherry red then take the hammer to it...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, unfortunatly I can't hit the header primary very hard as I don't have a lot of room to swing. Maybe I should bite the bullet and remove the header entirely from the drivers side. It's #7 primary and there's only about 5 inches between where I want to hit and the firewall. Quite frankly I don't care what the header looks like so using heat (if it works) would be a realistic option. I don't have a torch here at home, would a bernz-o-matic torch in a can (blue can) be just fine for getting the primary hot enough?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont think the blue can the yellow for sure.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phasemaster1
Dont think the blue can the yellow for sure.
MAPP gas (yellow) will do it ....I use that to straighten out my screwdrivers
Old 08-23-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

So this bad boy? Propylene Fuel cylinder?

Quick Reply: How do you guys dent headers? What's your preferred method?