Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

How hard is it to install a torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
My thoughts exactly, if you scroll up in this thread some... one person spent 2.5 days to install one!

I have better things to do with my time... I could go make enough money to more than offset the $250 for the install or just relax around the house.

If you don't have the tools, I don't recommend installing one.
it was after april 15th and us tax attorneys get bored! besides - i got to drive my dad's c5 to get deep 13 and 15 mm sockets, ATF... etc.

but yea - 250 is worth it for most. my mom laughed when i cut my hand open. "...100k for law school for you to work on your truck"

it was my first one and im sure someone with more experience could do it in 8-9 hours. im sure i could now - without the stiches - i cant surf for a week now
Old 04-28-2004, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SuperSporttruck
I am getting ready to do mine this week, and it will be in the drive way. I know it isn't going to be fun. I have done it before in cars, and like ben said gotta go for it once.

you'll be fine - dont even bother removing the driveshaft, just disconnect it from the diff. - that way when you lower the trans it can only fall 3 ways instead of 4.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I agree that they arent meant to go that fast and I only hit that speed once every few months if that, when there is no one on the highway, but it makes me wonder if its just unoticeably out of balance at 80 or 90, which I do almost every day - I might try the 180 deg rotate just to see.

I should mension that I paid $275 for install on my Yank. Well worth it IMO, they had it out of the shop in about 2.5 hours. I believe it would have taken me 3 days - and those 3 days wouldn't have been pretty.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by revolution
I just installed my TC over the weekend. Here are TC install directions for a 2wd (no transfer case).

Prep: Get the truck up on ramps. Disconnect battery and drain the ATF.

1. Start by removing the exhaust Y-Pipe. Do not attempt to unscrew the O2 sensors - the thread may be seized. Instead unplug the O2 sensors and remove the Y-pipe with them attached.
2. Remove the driveshaft by unbolting it from the pinion yoke at the rear end. It just slides out.
3. Remove the black access cover from the front of the bellhousing. I had to pull the starter to get to it.
4. By rotating the crank to get them into position, remove all 3 bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate. – 15 mm. There's an access cover on the bellhousing. Remove it and use a flat head screw driver.
5. Once unbolted, push the converter back into the trans. It should move about a 1/4"
6. Unhook the quick-disconnect lines for the cooler. Removing the heat shield from the passenger side of the trans makes getting in there easer. There's a little metal clip over a plastic ring. Use some sort of pick to get the clip off and then the ring slides off. It's hard to explain, you'll have to see it.
7. Remove the shift linkage. Be carefull not to upset the calibration. Remove the nut the holds the linkage arm and remove the linkage arm from the shaft. Remove the entire position sensor from the trans. DO NOT attempt to unplug it. The weatherpack seal inside melts and becomes glue. String this out of the way.
8. Unbolt the trans from the crossmember.
9. Use a floorjack, preferrably with a tranny adapter, to support the trans. Lift it enough to clear the rear monting pad.
10. Unbolt the crossmember and remove it.
11. Lower the trans. It will hang a little lower from the engine. The motor mounts will hold it.
12. Use the extra space to disconnect the harness from the top of the passenger-side. It has to be squeezed at the same time you lift it out. Zip the harness out of the way.
13. Disconnect the vent tube at the top of the trans.
14. Begin removing the harness holders and dipstick retainers from the bellhousing stud bolts.
15. Remove the dipstick.
16. Position and secure the jack to the trans. Begin removing the studs. Get the top ones first. Leave one on the left and one on the right till last.
17. With the studs out, slide the trans off the dowels.
18. Secure the converter from falling out by bolting something across the bellhousing. If the converter falls out the seal on the front pump will be destroyed, not to mention the converter itself.
19. Lower the trans and remove. Clean the area around the quick dis-connects so dirt doesn't end up stuck to the lines when reinstalling.
20. Fill the new converter half way with DexronIII ATF. Have 8 quarts on-hand.
21. Put a striaghtedge across the bellhousing and note the distance between the factory converter hub and the straightedge. (mine was 11 mm)
22. Remove the factory converter.
23. Install the new converter while rotating it. You will feel it lining up as you rotate it into position. Once it's properly aligned with the pump it will seat all the way in.
24. Check the measurement against that taken in step 21. (11 mm) If the converter is sticking out to far keep rotating until it fully seats. This is critical!
25. Secure the converter so it doesn't fall out on reinstallation.
26. Install the reverse of removal.

It took me 2 1/2 days. Thats one person, beer breaks and 9 stiches after a wrench slipped on the 2nd day. WEAR GLOVES!

I also installed the transgo shift kit and vette servo with the tranny out and made sure not to lose any of the checkballs.

You could do it in a day. Im no mechanic. Its good to have someone help you when you're taking the tranny down off the dowels.

Well worth the time and effort.

Side note - I know 99% of everyone on this forum has or recommends the TT3000. I went with the TT2600 anyways. For a daily driver, i couldn't imagine anything more. i still have traction problems.

Perfect instructions. It took me about 4.5-5 hours using a lift, start to finnish. I just wish i had the right stall to put in there. B&M, you SUCK!!!!!!!!