Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
View Poll Results: Pick on of these for my new name
Hangman
8.33%
SouthernDreamer
6.25%
SoCal stocker
4.17%
LuckyBasstard
0%
2slow2go
4.17%
emissionsOWNZme
6.25%
FUBAR
0%
funnyboy
0%
southruleswest
0%
BUTTERCUP 4.8
10.42%
4.8HemiStomper
4.17%
HEmiTowTruck
10.42%
mouthrunner
4.17%
chevracer06
2.08%
CaliFUCKINfornian
4.17%
Asshatwita4.8
27.08%
Southownzjoo
0%
Southizmobetta
0%
IwishIwasSuthern
8.33%
CALI4.8
0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How many people have switched the coolant they use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you guys replacing it with.. the green?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -= MacADaYear =-
What are you guys replacing it with.. the green?

yup, you have to completly flush the dex-cool (red stuff) out before you put the green in. I wonder if one of the coolants has a better lubrication property then the other
Old 05-02-2004, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Great... another project added to the list...
Old 05-02-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

will switching to the green void any kind of warranty if you have one on your truck? anyone know?
Old 05-02-2004, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reminder! The Engine swap will be a great time for the change over! I haven't had any issues with the Dex-Cool, but I've heard it's very corrosice to Aluminum. I was flushing my engine bay for hours when I swapped radiators and got the crap everywhere. Damn GM didn't leave a convienent drain route with that skid plate in the way.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rcfast
yup, you have to completly flush the dex-cool (red stuff) out before you put the green in. I wonder if one of the coolants has a better lubrication property then the other
I was told by the dealer i bought my truck at that the dex helps lubricate the water pump, and if you put green in it will damage your water pump.

Then 6 months later i wrecked it, and the dealer that fixed it put the green in and said it was fine.(it was fixed at a ford dealer ) Anyway in january i noticed my water pump leaking and squeking. Wether its all coincidence or there is some truth behind it i dont know, but when i change my pump im going back to the dex-cool.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
I was told by the dealer i bought my truck at that the dex helps lubricate the water pump, and if you put green in it will damage your water pump.

Then 6 months later i wrecked it, and the dealer that fixed it put the green in and said it was fine.(it was fixed at a ford dealer ) Anyway in january i noticed my water pump leaking and squeking. Wether its all coincidence or there is some truth behind it i dont know, but when i change my pump im going back to the dex-cool.
i heard one lubed better than the other just didn't remember. i wouldn't think it would be enough to take out the water pump because the design of the water pump didn't really change with the dex so i wouldn't think the green would make any difference. i have also heard as stated above that dex would take out gaskets..who knows, my radiator blew the side tank and i just got it repaired and now im going to reinstall it but i don't know if i want to flush it and go green or flush it and use the dex. the guy at the radiator shop told me its easier to go with the green because it doesn't contaminate as easy as the dex, and i have seen dex mess up a lot of things so im not to sure whay im going to use yet
Old 05-02-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going with a Evans coolant system,new thermostat,waterpump and waterless coolant.It's expensive ,but I'm hoping to keep head temps and detonation down on a high horsepower street motor.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

I heard the same thing snake eater heard, that it will ruin your waterpump. I always heard it the other way around that the green stuff will ruin your gaskets and affect your heater core if you make the switch. Don't know what's real or whats GM propaganda but I will just stick with the dexcool or the Evans NPG system.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

just my two cents-but isnt the water pump a sealed bearing. how is something going to lubricate the water pump if it is a sealed bearing. hmmmm. the propeller is not rubbing anything. heat is what would kill a water pump. other than that there really isnt anything in a cooling system that needs to be lubricated. but i am going to go to green i think. doin the cam swap this coming weekend,we need more feedback on this one.

Quick Reply: How many people have switched the coolant they use?