Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
View Poll Results: Pick on of these for my new name
Hangman
8.33%
SouthernDreamer
6.25%
SoCal stocker
4.17%
LuckyBasstard
0%
2slow2go
4.17%
emissionsOWNZme
6.25%
FUBAR
0%
funnyboy
0%
southruleswest
0%
BUTTERCUP 4.8
10.42%
4.8HemiStomper
4.17%
HEmiTowTruck
10.42%
mouthrunner
4.17%
chevracer06
2.08%
CaliFUCKINfornian
4.17%
Asshatwita4.8
27.08%
Southownzjoo
0%
Southizmobetta
0%
IwishIwasSuthern
8.33%
CALI4.8
0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How many people have switched the coolant they use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may change what my Radix cooling system is using, but my motor stays with what it came with. Did I miss a post, or has someone shown proof that using dex-cool has caused some form of problem? Most of what I read has been speculation.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

it has been my experience, and I have asked on several forums, that no one can prove anything against Dexcool directly. Every person that has had an issue with Dexcool "gelling up" can not promise that no one else serviced the vehicle and could have made a mistake mixing fluids (a known issue to destroy Dexcool). Everyone that had no problem with Dexcool could gauarntee that the system was not compromised. I have never brought my truck in for any fluid services, it has only been in for an ABS issue and radio issue - so I know that no one has ever contaminated my Dexcool, and it appears to be perfectly fine.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1csherm
Dexcool and the green cannot be interchanged or mixed per the manufacturers.
If a motor or cooling is started out on Dexcool - stay with Dexcool and vise versa
There is a gasket problem when going from Green to Dexcool - there is no way to completely remove all the Dexcool from a cooling system and there is a known gasket problem when going from green to Dexcool.
Dexcool is extremely sensitive when a system is low on coolant and air enters the system -
Dexcool systems are also extremely sensitive to the OE weighted vacume valve rad cap - one fix is to replace the cap with an aftermarket spring valve cap

On the electrical portion - the cooling system does conduct electrical current in the cooling system - there have been reports on electrical gremlins when the cooling system is not properly grounded.

On the water pump issue the main problem for pump and impeller corrosion is due to low coolant level which cause - caviation/errosion corrosion
The low level causes the pump to caviate - which is pumping air vs liquid - bubbles form then are collasped - this bursting causes errosion of the pump and impeller.
One mag I subscribe to is Motor - they go indepth often about NOT switching the 2 coolants or changing over.
Check Motor mag August 2002
This is some good information.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

ASSHATWITA4.8 it is!!! close the polls dammit. and this isnt florida... so dont get any ideas about changing it.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it will gel up if you put both types of coolant together.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had dexcool in mine, it started gellin up and lookin like ****, i ran some prestone flush through it and put back in the regular antifreeze(green), my overflow still looks like theres mud in it though
Old 10-15-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Asshatwita 4.8

Any of these names is gonna be funny as hell. Its gonna give me a laugh every time I see one of your posts
Old 10-15-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the dex cool doesnt screw up the gen3s as much as the other engines. no intake to leak from. mine has 154k miles and i've never opened the radiator cap other than to refill it after i changed the cam.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree with the statement about wouldn't GM just stop using Dexcool if it was deteriating gaskets or causing problems. There not going to use something that will cause issues with leaks or gels up.
I'll be sticking with Dexcool. I'll never have the gelling issues because I always change my coolant in all my vehicles at 60K. Tranny & diff fluids get changed every 30K.
If you change the dexcool out at a shorter interval than 100K, you will not see issues. IMO.
I vote for keeping what coolant type the manufacturer recommends! Though I do not agree with the 100K fluid interval they recommend.
Remember, these are only recommendations, that doesn't mean it needs to be followed.
Good luck.

Jim
Old 10-16-2006, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Has anyone on here tryed the new prestone coolant that can be mixed with any color? I've been thinking about switching to it, but havent heard anything about it.

Quick Reply: How many people have switched the coolant they use?