Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

How much faster am I then an SS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much faster am I then an SS?

I have the Texas Special Edition half ton ECSB. It is almost the exact truck as the SS. It has the same LQ9 motor and suspension. It does have 3.73's and 20's 275/55 tires. So the only differance would be the body moldings, standard features, and the AWD system. The AWD system adds about 400lbs or so. It also sucks up some of the HP in drivetrain loss. Any ideas on what my truck would do at the track compared to the SS? I am sure my truck is faster in a rolling start, how you doing, street race since I would not have to worry about traction.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Round Rock TA
I have the Texas Special Edition half ton ECSB. It is almost the exact truck as the SS. It has the same LQ9 motor and suspension. It does have 3.73's and 20's 275/55 tires. So the only differance would be the body moldings, standard features, and the AWD system. The AWD system adds about 400lbs or so. It also sucks up some of the HP in drivetrain loss. Any ideas on what my truck would do at the track compared to the SS? I am sure my truck is faster in a rolling start, how you doing, street race since I would not have to worry about traction.
i would say a little bit, probably not outrageously faster in a roll, but definately faster, at the track you could probably pull off a similar or slightly better time than a ss if you could hook up. on the street, i am not sure, the AWD does quite a bit there...
Old 07-18-2004, 10:13 PM

Well, I'm not sure but here's what I think. You're 400 lbs lighter so that should make you .4 seconds quicker, most SS's are running about mid 15's in the 1/4 stock, so you should be low 15's to maybe a high 14.9. The SS comes with 4.10 gears and you have 3.73 so that means the SS may be quicker off the line but again, it weighs more. The SS has AWD so again, it may be quicker off the line because from what I've heard, they really hook. You may spin being a 2WD truck and having the same power, you may have to pedal it off the line. All this is just a guess.
Jim
Old 07-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Launching!

I did not know they had 4.10's. My truck takes off fast in 1st gear. With 4.10's and AWD they must really take off. But those same two features (4.10, AWD) will likely hurt their top end. It looks like I will need some real world testing. It also seems like the longer I can extend the race the better.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:11 PM
11 Second Truck Club

try bigtex he has a ss and might run you.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

track---I'd guess the texas truck and the SS would be near dead even with the texas truck in stock trim.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

take it to the track and find out. Make sure and let us all know though
Old 07-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pewter01SS
take it to the track and find out. Make sure and let us all know though
I know, I know. I just started my second tank of gas so I still need some time. I will be performing a completly stock dyno and track time. It seems like there are a lot of people wondering how the LQ9 dyno's through a 4L65. There just doesent seem to be any LQ9/4L65 dynos out there. Vs. an SS at the track I calculate that I would have a slower 60ft time but a higher trap speed. We just have to see how those effect ET.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Round Rock TA
I did not know they had 4.10's. My truck takes off fast in 1st gear. With 4.10's and AWD they must really take off. But those same two features (4.10, AWD) will likely hurt their top end. It looks like I will need some real world testing. It also seems like the longer I can extend the race the better.
with a stock SS, the awd isn't much help off the line since the texas truck doesn't spin the tires either.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah i have the same truck and was wondering what I could do against an SS truck. I just recently got mine too should be getting it back today from getting mirrors,door handles, etc painted same as truck color. I think we do have a slight edge over the SS stock if we can hook up. I cant wait to find out what the outcome is.

Quick Reply: How much faster am I then an SS?