Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

How are you keeping under hood temps down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you keeping under hood temps down?

After seeing 140+ temps on my MAF on our first 65 degree day here I knew I needed to do something!! Well I went and bought a 30"x12" roll of thermo tech fiberglass with a foil type reflective backing on it. It supposed to be good up to 1500 degrees.

I wrapped it aroung the intake tube on my STS kit with the reflective side out and secured it with some safety ties. Its not really that close (about 3-4" away) to the exhaust manifold but my fear was that the metal tube was being heat soaked and the MAF may have been getting a false reading.

So far I have not seen temps above 90 degress after doing this, but have not really hammered on it for a long distance either. I know there are some pretty slick lace up type of heat sheilds out there but seemmed a little on the pricy side for my blood.

I'll post some pics of my ghetto set-up later today.
Anybody have pics of what they have done please post em up!!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:02 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of doing the samething. I'm also going to relocate the MAF up by the TB now that i have the E-Fans and have the room and get it away from the exhaust.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JERRY2500
I was thinking of doing the samething. I'm also going to relocate the MAF up by the TB now that i have the E-Fans and have the room and get it away from the exhaust.
Relocating the MAF has crossed my mind as well, it just seems to be in the wrong location to me. Too bad we would need to make or modify the STS tubing pretty extensively to do so.

The heat sheild works great though from what I've seen so far, I just have to make it pretty now.
The place I got it from had huge rolls of the stuff, it was $25.00 bucks for the peice I bought. I would get a little wider peice if I had to do it again because it does not make it around the MAF where the plug in is.
Maybe a 15-16" wide peice would make it.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:11 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Where you get the stuff from? Realy not much modification needed on the kit. Just have to lengthen the wires to the MAF.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Where you get the stuff from? Realy not much modification needed on the kit. Just have to lengthen the wires to the MAF.
I bought it at a local high perf supply shop. They sell all high performance stuff, no cool looking things or cosmetis items just high perf. I'll go out and take a pic of it in our lot and post it in a few minutes.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:47 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
I bought it at a local high perf supply shop. They sell all high performance stuff, no cool looking things or cosmetis items just high perf. I'll go out and take a pic of it in our lot and post it in a few minutes.
Thanks, There's a big High performance shop up were i go camping. I'm going there this weekend. I'm going to see what they have.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok heres some pics, I know it looks major ghetto!!
It will have to wait to be done pretty. I also started wrapping my exhaust up to the turbo with thermotech tape I had laying around from a project I aborted about 10 years ago...lol.

I'l probably eventually rotate the reflective wrap on the intake so the gap is underneath.
Attached Thumbnails How are you keeping under hood temps down?-hdrwrp1.jpg   How are you keeping under hood temps down?-mafwrp1.jpg   How are you keeping under hood temps down?-heatwrp1.jpg   How are you keeping under hood temps down?-heatwrp2.jpg  
Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh ya, how do you like my brass plumbing for the oil return to the low pressure return pump?!
At the very least it won't burn or burst.
I'm glad you can't see all this stuff unless you get under the thing!!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Jerry, you won't have to cut the MAF wires, I put my intercooler on a couple of weeks ago and was able to just cut the tape off the wiring harness and pull the wires out of it. Had plenty of length to put the MAF on the driverside, front of the motor. HTH.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:44 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Jerry, you won't have to cut the MAF wires, I put my intercooler on a couple of weeks ago and was able to just cut the tape off the wiring harness and pull the wires out of it. Had plenty of length to put the MAF on the driverside, front of the motor. HTH.
I thought so, I just haven't realy looked at it yet. thanks

Quick Reply: How are you keeping under hood temps down?