Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Are HP Tuner and EFI live the top 2 choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
I wish I could "trade" someone just for a little while to see what it's like. For right now, HPTuners does everything I need and I really don't have to have RTT on my truck but it's a convenience deal ya know. Doing it on Matt's truck is fun and makes life simplier. I still need to upgrade to pro so I can hook the wideband directly into HPT.

Gonna be around town any time soon KB? I'd like to see the user interface of the scanner and the software itself first hand. I saw just a little bit of it at SEMA, but the girls with the huge ***** in the booth next door were a bit distracting
I don't think I'll be in your neck of the woods anytime soon, or I'd show ya. but you can go to EFILives website and download the software for free. Its the full version of the the scanner and the tune tool, that just runs in a demo mode that doesn't let you save any changes you might make. There is also sample tune and logs for you to review, as well as you can dl any tune from efilives repository at www.holdencrazy.com and view as well.

http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx

***** are good,
Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:Jest:

Thanks man. I'll take a hack at it to mess around. I've got a friend that wants me to mess with his LT1 camaro using LT1Edit. It'll be like going back to the stone ages with that one compared to what I'm used to haha.

How does the custom OS stuff work KB? Also, the segment swaps I'm interested in as well. I'll be doing a 4L80 somewhere in the future.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

The COS you find the one that's for your OS or that you want to change to and then do a full flash with it. You then do a cal only flash with your old os to populate the fields and then there are a few tables you have to fill in that are new, like boost VE and timing ect.

Some of the newer controllers they have built it in, so all you have to do is open a tab in the tune tool to upgrade OS and choose which one you want and press the button and it will automatically do the OS upgraded to the COS. You still have to populate a couple of the new tables though.

Segment swaps are easy too. You load your tune, then a compare tune of the same OS, but with the segment you want. Then you open the edit table and select which segment you want to swap and presto, you just swapped in a new segment. That's a generalization of it anyway,
Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, just downloaded it to look at it. I like how you can easily go detailed, but the overall user interface I didn't think was as friendly as HPTuners. It looks like a powerful piece and I'd like to use it down the road for segment swaps and different OS's. I do like how HPTuners' scanner automatically reads all the info when you press start. When you start the EFI scanner it asks for VIN and a few other parameters. Does it do this when hooked up to the vehicle still?

I found it easier to navigate through HPTuners because it's more of an "open" interface where it's easy to see everything. Although, EFILive does show a few cool little parameters that you can't easily see in HPT. I found out a buddy has EFI and I'll try using it while doing some scanning to see how I like it.

Also, thanks for being cool and explaining KB , we need more of you on this board
Old 03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

The you can turn that off in the scanner, or it doesn't do that if you connected to a vehicle and it can read the vin, so it knows what its looking at. The lay out is just a preference thing and what your used to looking at. I cuss every time I use HPT, cuz I can't find things, lol.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kbracing96
The you can turn that off in the scanner, or it doesn't do that if you connected to a vehicle and it can read the vin, so it knows what its looking at. The lay out is just a preference thing and what your used to looking at. I cuss every time I use HPT, cuz I can't find things, lol.
Haha. It's the same categories (for the most part) so I could find the usual stuff pretty quick. How easy is it to hookup a w/b to it?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
Haha. It's the same categories (for the most part) so I could find the usual stuff pretty quick. How easy is it to hookup a w/b to it?
Pretty easy, just connect the 2 wires from the wideband to the inputs and select what Wb your using in the software.

V2 will soon have serial wb input (its in beta now) that will log the digital serial data strait from most WB's. Pretty cool stuff and it will display the AFR right on the V2's screen.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh cool, I figured it was the same as HPTuners, just haven't gotten to take a look at a FlashScan module in person. The one they had at SEMA was a "Demo" module. You can display AFR in HPT now, you just have to create your own custom gauge. It's fun playing around and making your own gauge cluster on there
Old 03-27-2008, 02:49 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used both before too...I prefer EFILive because it's more like the Windows Explorer interface and uses the tree structure. I had the same problem as Kyle...I find it to be difficult to navigate around HPT. Either way though, they both have almost the exact same features. Like Kyle said, it really comes down to your preferences and the pricing structure that fits your needs the best.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was talking about the screen on the V2 box its self

Let see HPT do that, haha jk

Last edited by kbracing96; 03-27-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Are HP Tuner and EFI live the top 2 choices