Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

HPP3 and PowerStat

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPP3 and PowerStat

Picked up my HPP3 last night, they store did not have any Hypertech PowerStat's in stock...
However, the clerk told me that they Hypertech was just a re-boxed Delco 160 degree thermostat and
that I can just pick one up at Kragen's and it would even be cheaper.
Is this true????

Also, I wanted to see if anyone would be able to give me advice on changing the shift points. I don't really have much access to a track up here to do trial runs.
so I was wondering if someone has a certain configuration that they have found to work best.

2001 GMC 5.3 SCSB 2WD 3:73's...
Old 03-22-2002, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Default Re: HPP3 and PowerStat

i would not get the delco i don't know if it is the same thing because it isn't just a thermostat it is the whole housing.
as for the shift points i would raise your rev limiter to about 6200rpms and make 1-2 shift +4mph, 2-3 shift +10mph, 3-4 +10mph. thats what i did on my truck and it seems to work great on the street. at the track you would need to play with it. after adjusting the shift points go and test it out. make sure you don't bounce off the rev limiter. if so just raise the rev limiter or lower the mph shift points. i would just raise the rev limiter.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Default Re: HPP3 and PowerStat

You don't need to buy a t-stat. Just do the t-stat mod (free) yes (free). Not sure if it is on here. You disassemble the one you have, insert a spacer in the plunger hole and reassemble. I cut off the end of a machine screw, a hair over 1/8 inch long. Mine stays at a steady 175. I understand a 160 stat will put you about there. Utilize the drain hose on the left side of the radiator. Some fluid will still come out when you remove the housing. It is o-ringed so no gasket to get.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hotrodchevy
You don't need to buy a t-stat. Just do the t-stat mod (free) yes (free). Not sure if it is on here. You disassemble the one you have, insert a spacer in the plunger hole and reassemble. I cut off the end of a machine screw, a hair over 1/8 inch long. Mine stays at a steady 175. I understand a 160 stat will put you about there. Utilize the drain hose on the left side of the radiator. Some fluid will still come out when you remove the housing. It is o-ringed so no gasket to get.

Why would yu want to jimmy something like that. If look you can get them for around $24 new and there not on ebay.....

2002 z28 m6 wating ....
Old 02-22-2004, 04:09 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hondadream50
Why would yu want to jimmy something like that. If look you can get them for around $24 new and there not on ebay.....
Because the cost of a BB is $0.01 and its easy.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Mortgage Banker Mod

Originally Posted by Phatchevy
after adjusting the shift points go and test it out. make sure you don't bounce off the rev limiter. if so just raise the rev limiter or lower the mph shift points. i would just raise the rev limiter.
Agreed, do a few searches here and you'll get some good info. My 2003 5.3 w/ 3.73's is set for 6200 rev limiter, +4/+12/+0 and went 15.4 @96.6 on a GTech with those settings and a UPD intake.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Care to elaborate more on this free stat mod? I'd like to check this out and see if it works...if nothing else it'd keep my temps down until I got my Hypertech stat!

RYan

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2004, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Yes your right about 1 cent.. but I thinks its better to buy the factory part bec you talking about a 15-20 thousand dollar truck. If yu want to jimmy rig something thats your business but I wouldn't do that..
Old 02-23-2004, 12:05 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hondadream50
Yes your right about 1 cent.. but I thinks its better to buy the factory part bec you talking about a 15-20 thousand dollar truck. If yu want to jimmy rig something thats your business but I wouldn't do that..
Look Hondanightmare...all you do with the BB mod is add it to the STOCK thermostat...so it is a factory part, you're just making it open up at a lower temp...plenty have done it with no problem...like myself..it's been on for a long time with no problem...my truck is fine
Old 02-23-2004, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

what kind of truck do you have?
After you did your mod did show it on the gauge little man?

Quick Reply: HPP3 and PowerStat