Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Hyperlube Supercoolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperlube Supercoolant

I'm going to pull my boat through the desert this weekend to bring it home for service and saw this stuff called Hyperlube Supercoolant at the auto part store. It's supposed to bring down coolant temps down about 20 degrees. Is this stuff for real, does it really work, anybody had any experiences with this stuff? Is it compatable with Dex-Cool antifreeze?

Lemme hear from you.
SS
Old 07-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the same concept as "Water Wetter" I use it in my intercooler. Its actually supposed to work but I've never tested it by taking temp with and without it.Water Wetter is about $7 a bottle and you only need one for your system. If this stuff is the same it should work.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I added water wetter to my cooling system. If there was any difference it was not perceptible. That said, where some of these products benefits might be more perceptible is in the more extreme conditions.

Last edited by moregrip; 07-14-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Launching!

I asked this question because when I tow my boat (5000 lbs.) through the desert in 110+ degree heat it does fine, it stays at about 200 degrees until I hit the hills and holding the speed at 75 mph, it'll downshift to 3rd, but the coolant temp rises up to 240. I'm still 20 degrees from the overheating, but I still don't like seeing the coolant temps that high. This is why I was wondering if adding something like the Hyperlube Supercoolant or the Red Line or Royal Purple "water wetters" will help in this situation and lower my temps under these conditions.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

just might, give it a try and report back. I'm curious as well. Your other option is a higher flowing water pump(but they aint cheap)
Old 07-17-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put in Red Line water wetter just a day or so ago. It does seem to pull the temps down about 15* or so. At least as far as I have had the chance to test it. I used more than 1 bottle.

Also, the temps that you see on your dash gauge, if that is what you are using, could be quite a ways off from actual. For example, my ECT gauge reads 180, but if I look at it with a scan gauge or EFILive, it reads 162 or so. And...the difference is not linear either. Meaning it is not 18* off accross the board. Tranny temps read similar. I guess what I'm trying to say is you may not actually be as high as you see, but going the other way, you could be higher. Getting that high in temp, I'd want to know just how accurate my gauge really was.

You may also want to look into e-fans. I have Flex-a-lites and they pull over 5000cfm. Not sure what '05 factory fans pull, but many add those instead and you can have either controlled by your PCM. My stock clutch fan just cooled okay compared to the e-fans. Just a suggestion.

What do your tranny temps look like during that kind of towing?
Old 07-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BenKey
What do your tranny temps look like during that kind of towing?
On the hills the tranny got up to about 190-200 degrees, then on straights it hovered around 185 degrees. Around town not towing anything it usually sits aroung 160+. Back in November I had the trans serviced. I told them I wanted the fluid and filter changed, but came back as being flushed. So I don't know if the filter was changed. -- This is a GM recommendation.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:13 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Crew
I asked this question because when I tow my boat (5000 lbs.) through the desert in 110+ degree heat it does fine, it stays at about 200 degrees until I hit the hills and holding the speed at 75 mph, it'll downshift to 3rd, but the coolant temp rises up to 240. I'm still 20 degrees from the overheating, but I still don't like seeing the coolant temps that high. This is why I was wondering if adding something like the Hyperlube Supercoolant or the Red Line or Royal Purple "water wetters" will help in this situation and lower my temps under these conditions.

Thanks for your input.
Sounds like exactly the same problem I have been battling since I installed my e-fans. Are you on a clutch fan or e-fans? I will be reinstalling my clutch fan here in the next couple of days to see if that fixes the problem. Going back to the lake on Thursday so I'll be able to report on any changes after that.

And as BenKey said, there's a "dead spot" on the ECT gauge in the dash. It will read right around 200 when actual temps are from about 185 to 220 without moving.

Last edited by thunder550; 07-18-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:15 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Crew
On the hills the tranny got up to about 190-200 degrees, then on straights it hovered around 185 degrees. Around town not towing anything it usually sits aroung 160+. Back in November I had the trans serviced. I told them I wanted the fluid and filter changed, but came back as being flushed. So I don't know if the filter was changed. -- This is a GM recommendation.
A standard fluid change just involves draining the tranny pan and refilling it. In a flush, they get ALL of the old fluid out of the tranny, including the valve body and converter, which doesn't normally drain when you pull the drain plug out. If they did a flush you got a full fluid change and a new filter.

As a side note, my tranny temps have been off the scale because of my ECT temps and the fact that I still have the tranny lines running through the radiator. I plan to take the radiator out of the loop soon and just run my pair of standalone tranny coolers. I have seen tranny temps as high as 240 when my ECT's got up to 248.