Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Hypertech Programmer: Any Real Performance Gains w/ 87 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a hand held, get the Superchips. Or like everyone is saying, get a custom tune.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I'm happy with my Hypertech, it does what I want it to do. Borrow your friends if he let's you, and try it out....you might be surpised. If not what have you lost. I'd suggest buying a used one, they seem to be available all of the time on here and Ebay, you can always re-sell it down the road. My truck knocked a half of a second off with the HPPIII. That's no bullshit, and that's now G-tech times either. My trucks not one of the fast trucks around here, but I know what it runs because its been to the track more and made more than 50 passes on different occasions, so there wasn't a "fluke" pass that only makes me THINK the Hypertech works. It works. When I first bought it, I did it agains the recommendation of plenty of people on here. Most of them had 15 and 16 second trucks....with custom tunes. It really depends on how far you plan on going. If 12's or better is your goal, save your money until after the major mods. If a good solid 14 second truck or a mid to high 13 second truck is what you have in mind, I say go for it. I think if I were to do it over again I would have gotten the Crane Cams programmer for close to the same money. It wasn't available when I bought my Hypertech.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I'm happy with my Hypertech, it does what I want it to do. Borrow your friends if he let's you, and try it out....you might be surpised. If not what have you lost. I'd suggest buying a used one, they seem to be available all of the time on here and Ebay, you can always re-sell it down the road. My truck knocked a half of a second off with the HPPIII. That's no bullshit, and that's not G-tech times either. My trucks not one of the fast trucks around here, but I know what it runs because its been to the track more and made more than 50 passes on different occasions, so there wasn't a "fluke" pass that only makes me THINK the Hypertech works. It works. When I first bought it, I did it agains the recommendation of plenty of people on here. Most of them had 15 and 16 second trucks....with custom tunes. It really depends on how far you plan on going. If 12's or better is your goal, save your money until after the major mods. If a good solid 14 second truck or a mid to high 13 second truck is what you have in mind, I say go for it. I think if I were to do it over again I would have gotten the Crane Cams programmer for close to the same money. It wasn't available when I bought my Hypertech.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by NeedASilverado!!
Well ... I'm seriously considering a Hypertech. The truck is bone stock with a Flowmaster. I was racing a Hemi extended cab w/ exhaust on the freeway and when I hit 100mph my truck took a nose-dive... DAMN SPEED GOVERNOR!!! The Hemi blew by me like nothing.

Are there any REAL performance gains to be had from the Hypertech besides tranny firmness, configuring wheel/ tire sizes, and removing the top speed governor??
I also think that your truck with a Hypertech and a 3000 converter should be close to a high 13 second truck with the mods you currently have and maybe one or two other little goodies.