Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I am finally moving on, picked up a LQ9 yesterday for the truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
i don't know about being the master, but i have experimented alot with this little motor. It was definately a learning experience, but a costly one.... So far i am about even on money... A Heads/cam 4.8 costs about the same as a Cam only 6.0... the sad part is i will be faster in the 6.0 and get better MPG....
yeah thats what i ment that you've spent alot more time then most people on here would've on a 4.8. thats why i think im throwin in the towel on mine i was goin do to a heads and cam 4.8 but like you stated you'll get more hp and tq from a 6.0 plus its about the same price.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

What year was the VHO? Why did he pull it? and how many miles on it?
Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The motor is all cleaned up and ready togo. Except i need two bolts. One valve cover bolt and one of the long oil pan bolts. I accidently dropped one of the cam retainer bolts into the oil pan when i was swapping out the cam. So the pan had to come off. When i was putting the pan back on one of those long bastards snapped. Oh well i will just pick up another one sometime. Anyways here are so pics.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

looking good, should be pretty bitchin when its all buttoned up.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Circled converter came in today . Now i can wear my CircleD tshirt with pride.

It's a comfortable shirt, I wear mine whenever I'm not wearing my Finish Line Transmissions t-shirt

The engine looks good Corey, aside from the block and valve covers, it looks like you painted the oil pan and timing cover also?
Old 11-20-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It came out of a buddy's vho. As far as plans, i am putting in a 220/224 .581/.582 115+4 and a circled 278mm 2a TC. I have not really decided if i want togo further cause i want to start building a race car. If the race car idea does not happen then i will toss a tvs1900 and redo the exhaust for bigger headers.
How many miles, & why was it pulled from VHO?

Originally Posted by skeet
...i take it the parts you mentioned on order are working around the tvs?
I didn't see this coming.

The motor is all cleaned up and ready to go. Except i need two bolts. One valve cover bolt and one of the long oil pan bolts. I accidently dropped one of the cam retainer bolts into the oil pan when i was swapping out the cam. So the pan had to come off. When i was putting the pan back on one of those long bastards snapped. Oh well i will just pick up another one sometime.
I did the same on my cam swap, sorta. I replaced the timing chain, well to do that I had to take down the oil pump pickup tube. I could get the bolt off the pickup, but not get it started w/. oil pan on.
I dropped it in pan a few times, lucky for me I was told I should drain oil 1st. Otherwise, I'da had to take the pan off after emptying it anyways searching for that lil bolt. I was forced to lower pan, I get all the bolts torqued on pan after reassembly, all that's left is those pricky lil long bolts. I had a little oil on them & as I torqued em, thought it was taking too much oomph. I TQ'd em at the m6 bolt spec not the m4 (almost double). So the right broke off 1/2-3/4 into block. And that's how it sits. And will.
Only way it'll get removed...is if a 6L goes in its' place or I can allow the downtime on my 5.3 next yr. (not likely).
Old 11-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
It's a comfortable shirt, I wear mine whenever I'm not wearing my Finish Line Transmissions t-shirt

The engine looks good Corey, aside from the block and valve covers, it looks like you painted the oil pan and timing cover also?
Yep i painted the timing cover, valley cover and oil pan with cast alminun engine paint. I was skeptical when i bought iy but i was really surprised after i painted that stuff
Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

U want me to mail u bolts?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corey, I've been havin problems posting on PT for almost 15 min., in fact, somehow even tho I posted before Billy, his post showed up 1st. Go figure. Anyway, how many miles, & why was it pulled? Was there a problem? Congrats!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep i painted the timing cover, valley cover and oil pan with cast alminun engine paint. I was skeptical when i bought iy but i was really surprised after i painted that stuff
Did you get the paint from Eastwood? I've seen that type of paint in their catalog...

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Corey, I've been havin problems posting on PT for almost 15 min., in fact, somehow even tho I posted before Billy, his post showed up 1st. Go figure. Anyway, how many miles, & why was it pulled? Was there a problem? Congrats
Don't feel special Tom, I was getting database errors here too...and how do you know that you posted before me? Pretty sure that my post went up before the server went down...

Quick Reply: I am finally moving on, picked up a LQ9 yesterday for the truck