Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I apoligize, but need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:36 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I apoligize, but need ideas

I tried to search, but obviously am not too good at it. Anyway. My throttle body started sticking on me. I had planned to just pull it and clean it with carb cleaner, is there something better to use, or a reason not to do it this way? Thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I didnt pull mine..

i just used carb cleaner and some of those long q tips. Kinda like what the doctor uses. That wasnt too bad. Carb cleaner will evap, so it shouldnt hurt anything.

Derek
Old 05-09-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

that's all I do with mine, but I have that new low mile throttle body right now so it's not dirty yet
Old 05-09-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

so you don't have to spray the carb cleaner in the tb with the truck running to clean it?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did a couple of seafoam treatments.. using the spray can and just spraying into the throttle body and I havent had that issue since..
Old 05-09-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carefull with the carb cleaner....don't start up right a way, like virgils4.8 said let it evaporate. I don't think it will hurt anything but I did it to my beretta and it couldn't breath when I tried to start it right away but after it evaporated it was fine. You got an EGR tube behind your TB don't you White1?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:03 AM
12 Second Truck Club

EGR. Whats EGR
Old 05-09-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the carb cleaner doesn't work for you, give me a PM. The regular throttle bodies (I.E. not DBW ones) are super easy to disassemble and clean... and while it's apart, you can port it for some free HP. I can give you the tips/tracks to get it apart and back together without breaking anything.

Even some stock throttle bodies stick more than I would like, even with no miles on them. I tend to clean up the throttle blade with a medium grit scotch brite type pad, then polish them to a mirror finish to keep the EGR/oil from building up on the throttle blade itself. I don't like sticky throttles... I've had one throttle stick open on me in all of my years of driving and building hotrods (carb though, not a throttle body) and it wasn't a fun experience... Let's just say that a children's church group was standing near a brick building pizza joint, and I stopped just inches from smacking a few of them into the wall... You'd never think a young church group leader would know how to cuss like that...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:24 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by SS_bnoon_SS
If the carb cleaner doesn't work for you, give me a PM. The regular throttle bodies (I.E. not DBW ones) are super easy to disassemble and clean... and while it's apart, you can port it for some free HP. I can give you the tips/tracks to get it apart and back together without breaking anything.

Even some stock throttle bodies stick more than I would like, even with no miles on them. I tend to clean up the throttle blade with a medium grit scotch brite type pad, then polish them to a mirror finish to keep the EGR/oil from building up on the throttle blade itself. I don't like sticky throttles... I've had one throttle stick open on me in all of my years of driving and building hotrods (carb though, not a throttle body) and it wasn't a fun experience... Let's just say that a children's church group was standing near a brick building pizza joint, and I stopped just inches from smacking a few of them into the wall... You'd never think a young church group leader would know how to cuss like that...

Ive got that taken care of. I guess I could take it apart I was just thinking Id take it off spray it off then put it back on. But I guess doing it the right way (dis assembleing) it would be better.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is just 3 nuts holding the throttle body on and a few electrical plugs and the the throttle cable. Takes me less than 5 minutes to take the entire assembly off. The gasket is reuseable and remains in the intake.

I would not use carb cleaner on a throttle body though. Most of throttle bodies have a coating on the throttle blade to help with cleaning and carbon buildup. The carb cleaner can remove this coating. I personally use 3m throttle body cleaner from oreilly's.

Take it off and clean it right. I do mine about once a year. I usually use a toothbrush in combination with the throttle body cleaner. Always comes out nice and purdy!

Quick Reply: I apoligize, but need ideas