Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

As I gather parts.............

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default As I gather parts.............

.. for my 5.7 build. I've settled so far on an LS2 timming chain(if there is better out there please by all means let me know), SLP ported oil pump, still on the fence about used LS1 pistons but I suppose it can be done(thoughts please), and finally, rocker arms. I understand the stockers can puke their bearins and this is not something to reuse. What's a good rocker out there, is it worth to go roller, really..............
Thanks.........

P.S. oh yeah- and hardened pushrods, anyone have a preferred brand..........
Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not real big on using a set of used piston's, I would pay the price for some new one's. I would consider roller rocker's, they benefit for valvetrain longevity and good for a few horse's.
Manley pushrods are a great product as well. But there are many good quality rods out there.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, Sonoma- digging around I just stumbled onto a thread on LS1 tech and Nasty Performance; https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-bearings.html that feature the stock rocker with new trunion bearings that won't self destruct. I wanted to go with the LS6 yellow springs anyways and am concerned with fitment under the stock valve cover so this new trunion bearing is pretty atractive...........
Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else? I've decided that roller rockers are the way to go, no use half- assing here as a non- roller is subject to wear, any recommendations for something that'll fit under the stock valve cover? Also- any recommendations on some good hypereutectic- pistons. I bought the book; How to Rebuild GM LS- Series Engines..
Thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 10:29 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001c3driver
Anyone else? I've decided that roller rockers are the way to go, no use half- assing here as a non- roller is subject to wear, any recommendations for something that'll fit under the stock valve cover? Also- any recommendations on some good hypereutectic- pistons. I bought the book; How to Rebuild GM LS- Series Engines..
Thanks
From what I've read here, the stock rockers are more than adequate and quite reliable, but with that being said, I have Harland Sharp 1.7's that I bought when I was trying to remedy some valvetrain noise (that turned out to be "characteristic" of LS motors with cam swaps. I've had them on there for at least 10k, and they fit under the valve covers, I just had to relief the heads (read: grind some little notches) on the side of the rocker that the pushrod goes to. The clearance looked very tight to me and I didn't want to take any chances.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was gonna IM ya about your HS rockers- wondered how that all went, thanks for the info. Did that noise you speak of set off yer knock sensors..................
Old 02-08-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

i was just kinda wondering why you were going to run a 5.7 when your truck has a 6.0 in it?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001c3driver
I was gonna IM ya about your HS rockers- wondered how that all went, thanks for the info. Did that noise you speak of set off yer knock sensors..................
Cool, glad I had some useful info for ya The valvtrain noise hasn't affected my knock sensors luckily, I did have problems with KR after the cam swap but that was remedied by swapping in an 02 PCM. Here's a pic of the HS's installed with LS6 springs...

Old 02-08-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gee- that's purdy.

Anyways, 006rcsb- my truck currently has a 5.3. Looking to punch it out when that great day arrives.......................
Old 02-08-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

your c3 has a 5.3? i thought those came with 6.0's, or is this not the truck its going in?

Quick Reply: As I gather parts.............