Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I hate the sound of my exhaust on my SS now

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j4nash
but i have heard that the HO 6.0 has more noise then the 5.3 does so what sounds good on a 5.3 MIGHT NOT SOUND GOOD ON MY HO 6.0 LQ9
I have a 6.0 with the magnaflow 2.5" dual in, dual out, no cats, and ASM long tubes, and its nice and quiet, no drone at all.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive got the 22inch magnaflow on mine and i hear a little bit cruising at 80 but nothing turning up the radio cant fix..
Old 08-03-2004, 10:24 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the flopro HD muffler - dual 3" in / single 3" out, no cats and ASM headers. Its a little more noisy in the 1600 rpm range than I want, but I want stealth. Thats partly because of not having cats. Under accel or cruising speeds, its just as quiet as the stock muffler. Overall, I like it. I may put cats back on to tone down the idle. Don't get me wrong, its not as loud as a flowmaster or anything. Just a mean burble.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by truckman
Corsa is what I got. Kind of pricey, but sounds just like what you're looking for. They have lots of sounds clips on their website.

www.corsaperf.com
That corsa exhaust system sounds mean as hell on the 6.0L. I think I might try some way to get my hands on one of those!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have gone thru dam near as many mufflers as Y2K silverado.With the recommendation of magnaflow tech from this board I went with a 5x8 x22",that thing was unbearably loud,enough to make blood come out your ears,this was with no cats.That was on less than a week.Went with a HD flopro duel in single out,very happy with that but a little resonance with no cats.I did recently put my HD cats back on,its perfect for me and plan to leave it.My buddy did a duel in/out HD flowpro on a H&C denali with AZ speeds duel out each side,its very tame and no resonce,perfect for a sporty SUV.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I did the same thing with the bullets to my dual magnaflows dumped after I took off the cats. I thought the bullets would make up for the increased noise from !cats but in only helped marginally. However I noticed my tone actually got deeper. I am about over the loudness myself. I think simply exiting mine out from under the truck would do wonders.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just talked to a different exhaust shop and the guy told me that a lot of mufflers will sound noise in the cab with the LQ9. But he told me that if I wanted that deep sound that I should stay with magnaflow and just get a bigger muffler. The muffler that he recommended to me was the 5" x 11” 145793” in/out length 22" overall 28".
Old 08-04-2004, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by j4nash
Well today I got two dynomax 3” x 18” bullet mufflers put on in front of my magnaflow muffler and it sounds like crap now. Before it was much deeper sounding at ideal and at low speeds and I loved that sound when you were just cursing around town. But when you would get out on the highway and be traveling at around 70mph it was just to noise in the cab. So I figured if I put in another muffler in front of what I had before it would help with that highway noise. Now it does not sound near as deep at ideal or low speeds and when you are accelerating it has a rasp to it now and at highway speeds it is a little quieter but it is still to noise for my liking. So now I am back to square one of picking out a new muffler. So far the options that I have come up with are getting a bigger magnaflow muffler, or trying a different brand of muffler. The other brands that I have come up with are Bassani or B&B.

Basically I want a deep sound at idea and around town cursing speeds but at highway speeds I want it to tone out and not be to noise in the cab. Does anyone have any ideas?
I think you would be happy with the dynomax superflows.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

JMO...Get the gibson superflow muffler and thatll solve your problems!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

ILLNALI
do you have the model number from your muffler

I just had a magnaflow recommended to me was model number 145793” 3" in/out length 22" overall 28". and 5" x 11" oval

Quick Reply: I hate the sound of my exhaust on my SS now