Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I have decided to rebuild a LMG 5.3....... would like guidance

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Litning
4wd, donor engine has 188k, current engine has 150k
Why choose the heavier iron block LMG over the original aluminum LC9? Mine has about the same mileage, motor quieted down when I switched off Mobil One to ACDelco's Full Synthetic for aluminum motors, has higher viscosity numbers like Shell's new Rotella Gas Truck.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by swathdiver
Why choose the heavier iron block LMG over the original aluminum LC9? Mine has about the same mileage, motor quieted down when I switched off Mobil One to ACDelco's Full Synthetic for aluminum motors, has higher viscosity numbers like Shell's new Rotella Gas Truck.
Im putting an iron motor in a C5. Some of us are just blasphemous like that
The following users liked this post:
swathdiver (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Im putting an iron motor in a C5. Some of us are just blasphemous like that
You can't do that and lose that prestige of the aluminum block... Like me suggesting on another forum a guy should do a 6.6 swap instead of a 6.2... That extra stroke and iron block in a 6000 lb truck is unacceptable and the 6.6 is a junk gutless alug while the 6.2 is a "performance" engine. Some people are so retarded I don't know why they are on a vehicle forum lol.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

I think the 408 cubic inches will offset the 110lb weight penalty lmao

I'll move the battery to the back and make my gf ride in the trunk, it'll be perfectly balanced then
Old 11-27-2019, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh no... the old L8T 401 ( it's a 3.86" stroke) has a lower compression ratio of 10.8:1 instead of 11.5:1 like the L86 and LT1 do plus its iron so its garbage. What these knot heads fail to understand is the L8T replaces the old L96 6 liter in everything the 6 liter was used in. It will only be in every single pick and pull wrecking yard in 10 years or so lol. It's a stroker 6.2 cast in iron... but hey if its junk all the better for me!

The one idiot even quoted me right where I say the 2 compression ratios and how the additional 25 cubes of the 6.6 easily offset that and he says to me in his reply that I am failing to consider the compression ratio difference... What... you quoted where I talk about it and obviously can't read or don't have a clue what you are talking about? I stopped replying... you can't help some people.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Can't fix stupid. Waste of time to fight it too!

The Corvette guys gave me some **** in a thread when I was talking about pulling out the bunk LS6 and putting in my brand new iron 408. I'm gonna ruin the dynamics, I'm going to ruin the leaf spring, the car will handle unsafely, braking will be diminished, I'm going to break things: blah blah blah

this one guy in particular called me out so I challenged him to race me when the car is done. He says "Corvettes aren't drag cars" ok, let's do a track day then (something I am keen on with my MR2) he says "my car isn't track ready"

THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING **** TO ME FOR?!

and the one that got me banned was this guy was screeching about the weight difference. So I asked him if his car handles noticeably different when he puts his 200lb wife in it

I got banned for "mod bashing" on that one lmao
Old 11-27-2019, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bahahahaha. That's awesome lol. Basically the same argument as I was given as well about the weight difference too. Except this time it's in a 6000 lb 4x4 truck. The one clown kept trying to hang with the lingo I suppose too.. whining that the long connecting rods in the stroker would be no good which I corrected him on actually being shorter with a longer stroke and the same pin height and in this case it's the same rod as the 3.622 stroke stuff as I have one from a 6.6...So hhen he starts throwing out rpo codes which are all jumbled.. and something stupid about how the 6 liter was the same crank ( as I had said the cranks from LTs will work in an LS). Its like just stop... if you don't know what the **** you are talking about then don't... I don't do car audio... you don't see me throwing my 2 cents in those sections without knowing anything. So why is it the I can change my own oil crowd (maybe) all think they are engine experts lol. I think this is the only forum I will stay with nowdays lol.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Can't fix stupid. Waste of time to fight it too!

The Corvette guys gave me some **** in a thread when I was talking about pulling out the bunk LS6 and putting in my brand new iron 408. I'm gonna ruin the dynamics, I'm going to ruin the leaf spring, the car will handle unsafely, braking will be diminished, I'm going to break things: blah blah blah

this one guy in particular called me out so I challenged him to race me when the car is done. He says "Corvettes aren't drag cars" ok, let's do a track day then (something I am keen on with my MR2) he says "my car isn't track ready"

THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING **** TO ME FOR?!

and the one that got me banned was this guy was screeching about the weight difference. So I asked him if his car handles noticeably different when he puts his 200lb wife in it

I got banned for "mod bashing" on that one lmao

LOL wife

I got caught up in the same thing over on GM-trucks.com when I was having a bad day. When some guy start talking about how his old tune only 6.2 by black bear was so much faster than the new L86 with headers, E85 and full bolt-on's.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swathdiver
cost was the primary reason. I got this donor engine cheap. this isn't a race car and will never see a drag strip, so weight savings mean nothing to me in the grand scheme of things for this vehicle
Old 11-27-2019, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Physically speaking, it means lower fuel economy. But just because the physics are there doesn't mean you'll actually see that. It's all in the noise, I feel

Quick Reply: I have decided to rebuild a LMG 5.3....... would like guidance