Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I have oil in my intake runners please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have oil in my intake runners please help!

I took the intake off today to use a manual oil gage to see why the oil pressure is a little low and noticed the intake runners on my patriot stage 2 LS6 heads have a oil film in them as well as my intake. I am using a LS6 valley cover with just a hose from the front to the intake. are my seals leaking or is it the rocker arm bolt or maybe the vally cover? It seems to be one problem after the next, could this also be the reason for the low oil pressure? I will be putting the manual gage on it tomorrow. Thanks for any help, Also thought I would add the motor only has about 500 miles on it since the rebuild.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still need a PCV valve in between the tube coming off of your valley cover and your intake. What you see is the reason why people use catch cans. It should not be the reason for your low oil pressure and should be considered normal as long as it is not excessive.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i replaced the Knock Sensors on my 5.3, i noticed something puddled in the rear of the intake.. i got a blue shop rag, taped it to the end of a long screwdriver and cleaned it out.. it was black oil.. so i just put everything back together and been runnin the crap out of it like usual... poor motor.. the throttle still sticks closed.. i clean it ever oil change.. and it always starts stickin right before i change the oil.. what gives with this?? is it just from running it hard all the time? or is this common?
i just clean it and keep on goin..
Old 07-18-2006, 09:53 PM
9 Second Club

I noticed this last weekend when I pulled the engine (4.8) out of the Wood Hauler's truck. His was the same way, but his motor had ~75,000 miles.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
I took the intake off today to use a manual oil gage to see why the oil pressure is a little low and noticed the intake runners on my patriot stage 2 LS6 heads have a oil film in them as well as my intake. I am using a LS6 valley cover with just a hose from the front to the intake. are my seals leaking or is it the rocker arm bolt or maybe the vally cover? It seems to be one problem after the next, could this also be the reason for the low oil pressure? I will be putting the manual gage on it tomorrow. Thanks for any help, Also thought I would add the motor only has about 500 miles on it since the rebuild.
Check the bolt holes for the intake rocker bolts, I'll almost bet that you can see right into your head's intake runners. I was just asking the guys at WCCH about this, and was told that most of these CNC'd heads cut into the intake rocker bolt holes due to the thin intake port walls. Some liquid teflon on the intake rocker bolts should take care of the oil getting into the intake runners. I don't think this will fix your oil pressure problem though...I'd be looking towards the oil pump, oil pump o-ring, or bearing clearances for that. But I'd definitely investigate those bolt holes first and take it from there...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:12 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

For the other folks that don't have worked heads and are experiencing excessive oil consumption and oil puddling in the intake, this is a common issue for GENIII motors. The LS6 pcv system that Dark Halo mentioned is supposed to help cure the problem...the truck pcv system is known to suck excessive oil into the induction system. GM even re-designed the pcv valve to a fixed orifice to try and band-aid this. I have an AMW oil catch can myself that I drain a teaspoon of oil out of about every 1k. (Do a search for "catch can" or "oil catch can" and you should find a wealth of info on what I'm talking about)
Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Check the bolt holes for the intake rocker bolts, I'll almost bet that you can see right into your head's intake runners. I was just asking the guys at WCCH about this, and was told that most of these CNC'd heads cut into the intake rocker bolt holes due to the thin intake port walls. Some liquid teflon on the intake rocker bolts should take care of the oil getting into the intake runners. I don't think this will fix your oil pressure problem though...I'd be looking towards the oil pump, oil pump o-ring, or bearing clearances for that. But I'd definitely investigate those bolt holes first and take it from there...
when the intake is off you can see the rocker bolts through the intake runner, So maybe if I use some sealant it sould be cool?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:11 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
when the intake is off you can see the rocker bolts through the intake runner, So maybe if I use some sealant it sould be cool?
That's what I was told by WCCH, they recommended liquid teflon. I just got my heads back from them Monday, and when I was looking them over, I noticed that the intake port was cut into the rocker bolt hole. I looked through the rocker bolt hole right into the runner. I called them to ask if this was normal and they said yes, just be sure to seal the rocker bolts and I should be good to go
Old 07-19-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should not be experiencing low oil pressure problems on a freshly built motor. I can't remember all of your other thread, but was it low enough to trigger an alert on your dic? Was the oil pressure sending unit re-used from the other motor or brand new? Was it damaged during install? If the problem really does exist, and you can get a mechanical gauge that goes in place of your filter to really check, you need to take that motor back to the builder. Stop putting miles on it until you know. They may be less inclined to resolve the more miles you have on it. The clearances may be way out of tolerence. Unless of course you built yourself.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

My father and I built the motor. We had a local machine shop put in the cam bearings, and we did everything else. The pressure seemed good until the sending unit went out and now it is low with a new sending unit. I do have a manual guage but it goes in place of the dending unit, I will be testing it today.

Quick Reply: I have oil in my intake runners please help!