Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I keep burning up O2 senors! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I keep burning up O2 senors! Help!

I've had an AEM boost guage for 18mos and burned up 4 sensors. This last one only lasted about 2mos. Any recommendations?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:35 AM

Do you have any Silicone RTV inbetween the exhaust valve and the O2 sensor?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:52 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

SppeedMechant put some red "sensor friendly" sealant on my head gasket and my wideband reads real lean when at steady throttle cruise- intermittently
Could the sealant be affecting the readings?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

title says o2 sesnsor but you are complaining about a boost gauge sensor? I guess you meant WB. Where is your sensor located?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:17 AM

I'm not sure there is such thing as sensor friendly RTV... even if it says so on the package.

I'm just taking a shot in the dark... it could be something else... bad tune... other problems. I've redone a couple of header jobs that came with paper gaskets gooped with RTV... initially complaining of multiple O2 sensor failures over time. Replacing with GM stainless steel exhaust manifold gaskets and graphite style collector gaskets (if so equipped) prevented further O2 destruction. That was just the first thing that popped into my head...

Bill
Old 11-21-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys...sorry for the confusion...its the WB sensor not the O2. I haven't been the one who's put them back in, but I'll be sure to ask about the RTV. I put on some Dynatech LT's and high flow headers at the same time as the guage, cud this have anything to do with it? I'd be surprised, but never can tell. I never considered the priob as anything but the sensor (its a Bosch) as they apperently fail pretty often. they've all been covered by warranty, but I'd guess they're gonna run out of patience soon! R/
Old 11-21-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about burning up the wideband o2? Are you running the motor at ANY time without the wideband on? If so, that could be a reason why it is burning them up. The wideband must be on all the time the motor is on. If you don't want the wideband to be on, remove the o2 sensor from the exhaust stream and plug the bung.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
Are you talking about burning up the wideband o2? Are you running the motor at ANY time without the wideband on? If so, that could be a reason why it is burning them up. The wideband must be on all the time the motor is on. If you don't want the wideband to be on, remove the o2 sensor from the exhaust stream and plug the bung.
Always on when the motor is on. R/