Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I know ill get flak for this.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know ill get flak for this.......

im a poor little student looking for a decent tune. whats the best hand held programmer on the market. I know everyone likes the nelson and w4m tunes. but i dont wanna drop 600 on a nelson tune. I dont think there is anyplace in my town that does crank relearns for the w4m tune.but (idk about that.) but anyways any and all opinons and help are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you located? No handheld is worth it unless its free.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:11 AM
Truck addict

when i was still just bolton's my predator did a great job for me. the new ones are even better.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:19 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goshawk23
when i was still just bolton's my predator did a great job for me. the new ones are even better.
The only thing mine was good for is shift point changes and raising the speed limiter, and less mpg. more power, not enough to justify the price. felt faster with-out the perditor.
Funny thing is, I use it more as a scan tool than I ever did programing. But I have heard they have got better.

4.8, Not every tune is going to need a relearn, A Nelson tune might need one too. Just never know. I wouldn't waste my time with a hand held, for the price of a hand held, buy HP TUners and learn to tune it your-self.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:28 AM
Truck addict

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
The only thing mine was good for is shift point changes and raising the speed limiter, and less mpg. more power, not enough to justify the price. felt faster with-out the perditor.
Funny thing is, I use it more as a scan tool than I ever did programing. But I have heard they have got better.

4.8, Not every tune is going to need a relearn, A Nelson tune might need one too. Just never know. I wouldn't waste my time with a hand held, for the price of a hand held, buy HP TUners and learn to tune it your-self.

i do concur with the price of hpt and buying it. if you have a laptop or can have access to one. your better off. you can download bin files to help you get started. my pred made a diff for me in my truck. i will be like everyone else though, save more money and get tuning software or pay for a tune from one of the sponsors....
Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

handheld = $400 no real hp gains
w4me = $150 20+hp free updates
easy decision if u ask me
Old 06-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

so what are some syptoms of a crarnk relearn?? no power gains??? not running right?? i had no idea the w4m was that cheap..... And are the pcm's hard to change out???
Old 06-11-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Crank relearn will just throw a code and turn on the check engine light, thats it. Any GM dealer can do them. PCM takes about 5 mins and a 7mm socket to change. It's right next to your battery under a plastic cover.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A PCM swap takes 15 minutes if you've never picked up a tool......it's under a protective plastic cover in the engine bay near the battery.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black4.8
handheld = $400 no real hp gains
w4me = $150 20+hp free updates
easy decision if u ask me
And what experience do you have with handhelds ? Saying handhelds give no real hp gains shows your ignorance on the subject. There are others out there besides hyper ping and they do make HP, it all depends on what your looking for.

Quick Reply: I know ill get flak for this.......