Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I think I have a lifter going out

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a lifter going out

I did my head and cam swap last weekend. They are AFR 225cc w/ 72cc chambers and the cam is an LPE GT2-3. I left the stock lifters and rockers in and have had both the 7.35 push rods I had with the stock heads and a set of comp 7.4's in since the swap.

I am getting alot of valve train noise. I know it is going to be louder and that alot of people with that cam on here have complained about it, but I dont like the way it sounds. I know I need to throw a pushrod length checker on it and do it the right way.

When driving it you could hear the valve train noise. Now on top of that I am getting a louder ticking that sounds like it is coming from the driver's side bank. The wierd thing is it is intermitent. You can let it run and all you hear is the valve train noise, then it will start to get the louder ticking and then it will go away and just be the quieter valve train noise. Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the heads, those are huge....and beautiful! When the ticking gets to me I turn up the stereo.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The regular ticking doesnt bother me as much as the loud one that only comes from the driver's side bank that comes and goes.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I do get new lifters for it what do you guys recomend? I was thinking either LS7 lifters or Comp R lifters. It pisses me off that I am probably going to have to pull the heads again and **** off a set of Cometic head gaskets that havent been on the truck for a week!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

is it necessary to replace the lifters when doin a cam swap. my dad said he use to alway replace them, but ive never heard of the ls guys doin that.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:09 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderwagen
If I do get new lifters for it what do you guys recomend? I was thinking either LS7 lifters or Comp R lifters. It pisses me off that I am probably going to have to pull the heads again and **** off a set of Cometic head gaskets that havent been on the truck for a week!
For the price, I'd do the LS7 lifters. The Comp R's are expensive IIRC, and the LS7 lifters should be fine and right around $100 for the set. Aren't the Cometics reusable?

Originally Posted by Zachsb3
is it necessary to replace the lifters when doin a cam swap. my dad said he use to alway replace them, but ive never heard of the ls guys doin that.
99% of the time you don't need to replace them. Not a bad idea if they are high mileage and you're going to pull the heads anyway, but not necessary when swapping cams.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you replace the oil pump and/or remove the oil pick up tube?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Last Call
Did you replace the oil pump and/or remove the oil pick up tube?
Yes I pulled the pump and tube. I put on a new timing chain while I was in there and put a new O ring on the pick up tube. I have good oil pressure, but get the loud intermitent tick on top of the added valve noise from the cam.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunder550
For the price, I'd do the LS7 lifters. The Comp R's are expensive IIRC, and the LS7 lifters should be fine and right around $100 for the set. Aren't the Cometics reusable?
I think I remember you used the LS7 lifters. Where did you get yours? As far as the Cometics being reuseable that would be nice, but I dont know if they are or not. If anybody knows please chime in.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderwagen
I think I remember you used the LS7 lifters. Where did you get yours? As far as the Cometics being reuseable that would be nice, but I dont know if they are or not. If anybody knows please chime in.
I got mine from Scoggin Dickey.
http://www.sdparts.com/product/12499...esSetof16.aspx

I'm pretty sure the Cometics are reusable....hopefully someone will back me up on that.

Quick Reply: I think I have a lifter going out