Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I think it's about time to change the oil...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 PM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

i remember reading this ginormous post about the algorithms used in the patented GM oil life calculator. the basic deal is that it measures the amount of a certain chemical in the oil & based on the mileage, throttle position, & cumulative engine revolutions, it gives you a reading of oil life left. i don't know what years that is effective for, though.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe this will clear up what i'm trying to say: approximately 3k miles after my oil change, my change oil light came on in the message center. i promptly reset the oil message and have driven about a thousand miles since then and the truck has not told me to change my oil yet, so i'm pretty sure that the older trucks are set-up differently from the ones that actually give you a percentage on oil life.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by zebra86
i remember reading this ginormous post about the algorithms used in the patented GM oil life calculator. the basic deal is that it measures the amount of a certain chemical in the oil & based on the mileage, throttle position, & cumulative engine revolutions, it gives you a reading of oil life left. i don't know what years that is effective for, though.
There is no sensor that analyzes the oil, it is strictly a calculation based on the parameters that I listed.
Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
maybe this will clear up what i'm trying to say: approximately 3k miles after my oil change, my change oil light came on in the message center. i promptly reset the oil message and have driven about a thousand miles since then and the truck has not told me to change my oil yet, so i'm pretty sure that the older trucks are set-up differently from the ones that actually give you a percentage on oil life.
Of course it has not told you to change the oil, you reset it! Your computer thinks that you have 1000 miles on fresh oil. Again, there is nothing that analyzes the oil, the only way that the computer knows that you change the oil is because it believes you when you reset it. The percentage is simply a guess, based on how you have been driving since you lied to the computer and reset it.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to get my oil meter to reset. Anyone know exactly how to do it. I've tried about 20 times and I guess that I'm just handicapped.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redsilverado05
I can't seem to get my oil meter to reset. Anyone know exactly how to do it. I've tried about 20 times and I guess that I'm just handicapped.
On my truck, I turn the key on and quickly depress the gas pedal 3 or 5 times in a row (can't remember exactly)...not sure if it's the same for an 05...
Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what? we have to change the oil that goes in the engine? It's supposed to be good for 100,000 miles, right?

I change mine when it looks brown. That's my science. When it looks dirty, I change it.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing with your underwear billy? That is assuming you wear underwear.....
Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

commando!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:07 PM
something else

I thought that you were in Depends all ready Bill?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 03 with oil life, instang mpg, stop watch....everything on my cluster. It definatly goes on the mileage you drive and the rest of the measurments that MikeGyver posted. I endup reseting mine 2-3 times during my oil life. I run AmsOil with the AmsOil filter and usually add 1/2 a quart every 5000 miles to keep it topped off. And usually change it between 12k-15k. Amsoil says that in extream conditions its good for 17.5k and normal conditions 25k. I just figure the way I drive my truck and the abuse it gets ill change it before Amsoil recomends. Besides using the Amsoil filter my oil is still golden brown at 5k.

Quick Reply: I think it's about time to change the oil...