Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

i wanna beat a horse for a minute.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i wanna beat a horse for a minute.

so i have a new off road mag. it has a few ads and right ups of tb spacers. now, i know the spacing of the throttle body on a plenum style intake makes no since. but it talks about the swirl of the air behind the throttle body to prevent part throttle dead spots behind the tb blade. it kinda makes since i a way. but the hamburger tb spacer claims 55ftlb on a 2004 4.8l. i thought this was alittle outrageous.

i'm not looking to buy one i have a turbo to swirl air but i have alot f guys i work with that come and ask me about them. i tell them NO don't do it. but there are performance shops that tell them they are good. but these same shops say flowmasters are good for the motors. (6.0l in this case) the whole "you need back pressure" speech that people love to give.

so has anybody ever dyno'd one of these things to see the out come?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell them to get one and while there at it, get a turbinator tin can for the intake tube, some e3 plugs, flowmasters, a magnetic fuel atomizer, shorty headers and a hypertech... they will fly.

But seriously, I have never seen independant tests.. maybe we are all missing out on an extra 55 ftlbs
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
12 Second Truck Club

thats what i'm saying there has never been a independant test done on these things. maybe we are missing out lol. doubt it but maybe
Old 04-23-2009, 09:19 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to comment.

haha...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

I have read reviews and dyno tests on TBI and carb engines, but nothing on newer style engines and intakes. It really makes no sense to me how it could work on a modern intake system.

I always thought it was the effect it had on the fuel not the air. So if the fuel is being sprayed directly into the cyl, not the intake, how is it going to change anything?

I have thought about the base plate spacer and mid plate spacer for my 89 TBI 350, but the joker runs so good, I hate to mess with it.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM
12 Second Truck Club

maybe i'll just let one of these guys get one and tell him to dyno the thing. i was thinking about calling hamburger people to ask them how the hell it works to see what they say. ask the *** hole style questions......................calling............ ................................

so i called. i didn't feel too convinced. he said it striaghtened out the air. i ask him how on a plenum style manifold the has a chamber inside with a hole in the top that feeds to runners. not to mention the fuel is sprayed on the back of the intake valve. he said it just does. he said if it don't work why sell it. i ask why all the diet pills and and such that don't work are on the market then. he said he didn't know lol. said they been useing them since 63. i agreed with carb spacer but not tb spacer on mpfi eng with a plenum intake. he had no good info. he said they dyno'd for sema and it worked right there........................

Last edited by 4.8T; 04-23-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4.8T
maybe i'll just let one of these guys get one and tell him to dyno the thing. i was thinking about calling hamburger people to ask them how the hell it works to see what they say. ask the *** hole style questions......................calling............ ................................

so i called. i didn't feel too convinced. he said it striaghtened out the air. i ask him how on a plenum style manifold the has a chamber inside with a hole in the top that feeds to runners. not to mention the fuel is sprayed on the back of the intake valve. he said it just does. he said if it don't work why sell it. i ask why all the diet pills and and such that don't work are on the market then. he said he didn't know lol. said they been useing them since 63. i agreed with carb spacer but not tb spacer on mpfi eng with a plenum intake. he had no good info. he said they dyno'd for sema and it worked right there........................

Maybe someone needs to contact him again, inform him that they are a member of a large performance website, and would like one for dyno testing and will post the results online for all to see.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

haha he will fold.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it seems to just make the air have to travel further from the tb to the intake manifold... I don't know where the gains come in since, as it's been said here, the fuel is added by the injectors in the intake valve. but if someone wants to buy one and do a dyno comparison, they have my full support!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I could make a TB spacer give me 25-250 extra hp

Quick Reply: i wanna beat a horse for a minute.