Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I wanna use my convertor

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna use my convertor

I have had this Yank 3000 sitting on the floor in my computer room for entirely to long! I was going to wait until I got a new trany to put it on there, but that's gonna be forever. Do ya'll think that a stock tranny would be ok with this convertor if I had a shift kit and billet servos?

What do ya'll think about just the shift kit and follow up with the servos later on. Money is still pretty tight, so that's why I'm trying to 'get by'.

It's prolly worth mentioning that I did add a 24k GVW B&M cooler.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

I would use it. I mean it only adds from 1.9 up to 2.21 STR right? So you aren't adding too much more stress to the trans by any means.

Also to install the servos properly you need to drop the pan and check 2-4 band clearance anyway. It needs to be between 1/16" to 3/8" from my memory. When you install the TransGo you have to shim the stock or 'Vette intermediate servo with some large washers to get that clearance correct...when you install billets you have to adjust the apply pin for proper fit. I feel that you'd be wasting money doing one now and the other later. The billets make a HUGE difference in apply (shifts) of the 2-4 band.

If my setup was in a light vehicle it would easily break them loose on a 1-2 upshift (where it is now with the big truck tires it still does) and probably even on a 2-3.

Cooler is a smart investment for sure!

Originally Posted by Flyer
I have had this Yank 3000 sitting on the floor in my computer room for entirely to long! I was going to wait until I got a new trany to put it on there, but that's gonna be forever. Do ya'll think that a stock tranny would be ok with this convertor if I had a shift kit and billet servos?

What do ya'll think about just the shift kit and follow up with the servos later on. Money is still pretty tight, so that's why I'm trying to 'get by'.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Yank 3k in mine w/no shift kit or servos.......just a Predator to quicken the shifts........shouldn't hurt even w/o a shift kit.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I really don't think the TT3000 would cause any trouble for the tranny, just make sure if you get the servos you check band clearance like Hit Man said, its pretty important.

Hey, how'd that 24K cooler fit? Did it go in the stock location?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

My truck didn't have the factory cooler. I used the bar that holds the temp sensor to secure the bottom of the cooler and the bars that come with the kit to secure the top of it. I will try and get some pics tomorrow if I think about it. I need to get some flat black spray paint and touch it up a bit to hide the silver tabs that came with the kit.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

My truck didn't have the factory cooler. I used the bar that holds the temp sensor to secure the bottom of the cooler and the bars that come with the kit to secure the top of it. I will try and get some pics tomorrow if I think about it. I need to get some flat black spray paint and touch it up a bit to hide the silver tabs that came with the kit.

Pics would be great!
Old 11-20-2003, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here ya go ... The silver part is the tabs from the kit, that's also what I just sprayed black. :tongue:

Old 11-20-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

That is exactly how I mounted mine. I also have a tt3000 with only vette servo and tweeked parameters via edit and mine seems to be doing fine, even on the juice.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm thinking it may even be ok to run the blower on with the shift kit and the billet servos.

I still need EDIT though ... not having EDIT is starting to hurt.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:22 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Thanks man, that gives me an idea of how to mount mine.

Quick Reply: I wanna use my convertor