Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

If you've swapped to a 5.7 or 6.0 come in!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you've swapped to a 5.7 or 6.0 come in!

I bought an 02 Ls1 a few days ago that I will be putting in my truck here shortly. Before I go through with this I want to hear every problem that anyone doing one of these swaps has encountered so if it happens to me I'm prepared.

I know how alike these are but I have heard of minor problems that just took minor work to get around, these are the types of things I'm looking for.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Im doing a 6L swap soon and have talked to a bunch of people and they said it was a direct bolt in and the harness could even be changed over. Other than that I dont know of anything else.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch all accessories, you should have one bolt left over from AC compressor bracket that won't go into the LS1 block. The oil pressure sending unit might be different so be careful with yours it is a very fragile POS. The 2002 probably has the improved one but the plugs are different so you have to use your old style one. Other than that, very easy.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would recommend thinking of it as a long block (block & heads) installation. Swap the truck intake, truck water pump, use the truck coil pack and the truck harness. Keep it as simple as possible by not mixing up F-Body and Truck accesories. Injectors and their wiring connectors are different between F-Body and truck applications. The coils are physically different although I don't know if the connectors are different. Their locations differ and because of that, plug wire lengths between F-Body and Truck motors are different.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IslandTahoe
I would recommend thinking of it as a long block (block & heads) installation. Swap the truck intake, truck water pump, use the truck coil pack and the truck harness. Keep it as simple as possible by not mixing up F-Body and Truck accesories. Injectors and their wiring connectors are different between F-Body and truck applications. The coils are physically different although I don't know if the connectors are different. Their locations differ and because of that, plug wire lengths between F-Body and Truck motors are different.
Actually it is a lonblock. '02 Ls6 block with 241 heads.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Then you're all set.

If you are doing the swap your self, my recommendation is to swap the block w/o all of the accesories incl the crank pulley. Much easier to get the block and heads in w/o all the extra stuff. Install the intake, water pump, crank pulley, AC and alt brackets after the block is installed.

You can also remove the wheel wells to open up a lot more room. Much easier dealing with header/exhaust manifold bolts as well as spark plugs.

Good Luck
Old 06-16-2005, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IslandTahoe
Then you're all set.

If you are doing the swap your self, my recommendation is to swap the block w/o all of the accesories incl the crank pulley. Much easier to get the block and heads in w/o all the extra stuff. Install the intake, water pump, crank pulley, AC and alt brackets after the block is installed.

You can also remove the wheel wells to open up a lot more room. Much easier dealing with header/exhaust manifold bolts as well as spark plugs.

Good Luck
Thanks for the tip on the wheel wells. I think I'll be doing it mostly myself but I can get a buddy to help when I'm pulling and dropping the engine. I'd rather swap the stuff with both of them on stands.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:43 PM
FormerVendor

Nothing to it man. I bought my 03 6.0L as a longblock and everything off of my old 4.8L switched right over, hell it even runs on 4.8L tuning.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

take the intake off first before you take out the old motor. it will give you more room to work with, the motor will come out easier, and you can get to your top tranny bolts very easily. same when you put in the new motor, leave it off until the very end. don't forget to support your tranny too.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Launching!

I thought you had to use a 4l80 with the 6.0 liter. I guess not.

Quick Reply: If you've swapped to a 5.7 or 6.0 come in!