Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

im porting my heads..am i doin it right??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00_Hotrod
After milling my heads i ordered 30k Rocker shims from crane and they work great, I think i paid around $25.00, I've had no problems w/ them at all...
Hey thanks, that's good to know. What do you think on how your truck performed with the cylinder head mods? Better or worst or indifferent?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
I am porting my 317s at the moment and I am going a little bit more than just 2mm, but this is the second set that I am doing, so I am getting ballsy. I am monitoring the port size through 7 different measurements in the port, going for a 15 to 20% increase in volume overall, while trying to retain some shape...hopefully I don't ruin them.
all i got to say is be careful
Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allpro
Hey thanks, that's good to know. What do you think on how your truck performed with the cylinder head mods? Better or worst or indifferent?
I did pretty much all the mods at the same time, cam, heads, injectors & tune, also had the larger LS1 valves installed, But i think the reason it runs so good is the head porting & valve size, around 350 rwhp 400 flyw, N/A..
Old 09-29-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbosilvi
all i got to say is be careful
Yeah, I hear you on that. I have been using the paper rolls until now, but I just went and got a few metal bits. That will definitely cut down on the amount of time spent porting. I put about 3 hours into an exhaust port and I only removed .030 on average. At $35 per bit, they better work!!! I am pretty sure its the intake ports that have a boss for lack of a better term, for the rocker bolts, that protrudes into the runner. I have been considering welding that up so I can smooth the runner wall then re-drilling and tapping for a larger bolt and get the same strength to compensate for the shallower hole.

I was going to try to shape the ports for air velocity, but I figured with this set I will go for mass volume and use cam profile to try to suck as much air in as possible.

Definitely going to be milling the head, maybe .020" - .030". I want to run a cam somewhere in the .600" lift area but I don't want to have to fly cut the pistons.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I hear you on that. I have been using the paper rolls until now, but I just went and got a few metal bits. That will definitely cut down on the amount of time spent porting. I put about 3 hours into an exhaust port and I only removed .030 on average. At $35 per bit, they better work!!! I am pretty sure its the intake ports that have a boss for lack of a better term, for the rocker bolts, that protrudes into the runner. I have been considering welding that up so I can smooth the runner wall then re-drilling and tapping for a larger bolt and get the same strength to compensate for the shallower hole.

I was going to try to shape the ports for air velocity, but I figured with this set I will go for mass volume and use cam profile to try to suck as much air in as possible.

Definitely going to be milling the head, maybe .020" - .030". I want to run a cam somewhere in the .600" lift area but I don't want to have to fly cut the pistons.
Do you have any pictures of what your heads are looking like?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just deleted them, they weren't that good anyway. The heads are packed up right now, I am moving in a few weeks. But keep a lookout, I will be documenting my progress with pics and hopefully flow numbers, if I can get my ghetto flow bench worked out.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of the CNC'd heads' intake runners cut into the rocker bolt holes, my WCCH StageII 317's are this way. I spoke to Richard at WCCH about this and he assured me that it's common practice, and to just be sure to seal the rocker bolts when I install them. I remember reading about other guys with the same scenario. I was a little put off when I first looked down the intake runners, but I trust Richard and his work.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Many of the CNC'd heads' intake runners cut into the rocker bolt holes, my WCCH StageII 317's are this way. I spoke to Richard at WCCH about this and he assured me that it's common practice, and to just be sure to seal the rocker bolts when I install them. I remember reading about other guys with the same scenario. I was a little put off when I first looked down the intake runners, but I trust Richard and his work.
Budhayes,

Do you have a picture of this?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allpro
Budhayes,

Do you have a picture of this?
Sorry, no picture, and my heads are packed away at my father's shop so I don't have access to them at this time. Next time I get over there I'll try to remember to bring a camera...I want to get to his shop one of these days to check the casting numbers on the connecting rods of my LQ9 anyway, but it probably won't be any time soon
Old 10-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Well I bought an extra set of heads from a board member on here and the heads were already milled .030 and 3 angle valve job done. I started to port and polish them tonight. I will post up some pics tomorrow when I get to the shop. I think they are looking nice but who knows. I have made some differences in the intake side.

Quick Reply: im porting my heads..am i doin it right??