Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

im porting my heads..am i doin it right??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just dont be afraid to ruin them man. Think about it, if you bought a set, you'd be down a minimum of $1200. You can go through 4 sets while learning and still be in the ballpark. And just to reassure you, I put about to 25-30 hrs into a set of LT1 heads and got 30 CFM out of them (strictly using paper rolls), so don't be afraid to take off some metal man, good luck.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Well here is the progress. I have 3 ports done so far. I was able to take quite a bit off of the top. I used the old gasket as a guide. I will let you guys know when I finally get it running.

For reference the middle picture has not been done yet. You can faintly see the blue marking at the top of the port on what is extra blockage!!
Attached Thumbnails im porting my heads..am i doin it right??-100_5336.jpg   im porting my heads..am i doin it right??-100_5337.jpg   im porting my heads..am i doin it right??-100_5338.jpg  

Last edited by allpro; 10-03-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: comment
Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

wow i thinks its been a couple months since i've checked my thread.. i jus want to thank every one for picking up on this thread and keeping it alive i was surprised to see it on the 1st page still..

anyways... i think i would rather port not enough than to over do it.. my truck is a lil 4.8 so 2mm should be good might step it up to 3mm if that aint enough, and just from looking down the intake ports i can tell ALOT of flow can be gaind just from rounding it all out..

ima post up pics on the progress when i get the chance
Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Increasing the port volume will only add minimal gains. If you want to see substantial gains in the terms of torque/hour of labor invested, you need to be focusing on the short side radius, bowl, transition to the back of the valve seat, and the entire valve job! A cylinder head will only flow as much as the weakest link will allow, the areas I described are the weakest link! Hogging out the port will not get you substantial gains without work in the more important areas! This is why you see aftermarket suppliers heads with relatively small port volumes doing so well against a stock casting, they have spent their R&D money on the important areas and transitions. Alas, there are things that they haven't done, and that is where West Coast Cylinder Heads or a similar company will come into play and "optimize" those castings.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bolikes2skate
wow i thinks its been a couple months since i've checked my thread.. i jus want to thank every one for picking up on this thread and keeping it alive i was surprised to see it on the 1st page still..

anyways... i think i would rather port not enough than to over do it.. my truck is a lil 4.8 so 2mm should be good might step it up to 3mm if that aint enough, and just from looking down the intake ports i can tell ALOT of flow can be gaind just from rounding it all out..

ima post up pics on the progress when i get the chance
Sorry to somewhat hijack your thread! I was just interested in the same as well as you. Finished up one cylinder head. Going to start on the other one next week. Did you do any work in the combustion chamber?