Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Im Surprised More People Dont have 408's

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im Surprised More People Dont have 408's

Even with cheap 243 heads theyd make a 450rwhp and have a lot of torque for heavy truck
Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think more people here use their money on FI setups.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Its much easier for ur average consumer to just go out and get a Radix or somthing like that, rather than swap an engine in something that possibly has a warranty.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silveradol33
Its much easier for ur average consumer to just go out and get a Radix or somthing like that, rather than swap an engine in something that possibly has a warranty.
Not to mention I haven't really seen very many people who have done a 408 swap and seen times to make it worth the money. I've seen tons of 408 swaps for sale though.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Not to mention I haven't really seen very many people who have done a 408 swap and seen times to make it worth the money. I've seen tons of 408 swaps for sale though.
True, and when people usually go with a 408 its after they have used FI and want to make more power with a forged motor, usually a 370 or 408
Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 PM
dug
Banned

yeah, the fi puts downs the big dyno numbers.

I was reading about 408's at ls1tech and they sound pretty reliable. you can get a shortblock for around $3k
Old 11-03-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dug
yeah, the fi puts downs the big dyno numbers.

I was reading about 408's at ls1tech and they sound pretty reliable. you can get a shortblock for around $3k
That seems a bit on the cheap side, but for sake of arguement.....so add another $1500 for some worthy heads and you're making the same amount of power that you would if you had a 5.3L with a supercharger.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive been on both sides of the fence. Ive had a few strokers and driven multiple FI setups along with the typical nitrous stuff. IMO for what most want on here a nice radix gets the job done, those that want a bit more go with a turbo but sacrifice some low end, then those that really want to push it go with bigger cubes. The bigger cubes is a pain in the *** not only in isntalling it, but gas mileage, pocket book, and generally is more tempermental in how it runs when compared to the same power output FI setup. My 418 with a 237/242 cam and 4K stall was awesome playing around town, the instant tq that 11.3:1CR gave me was fun at teh expense of single digit mileage(partly due to my foot), and really didnt make all tha tmuch more power then a nice radix truck. Now my 420 with a 224 cam and big heads ran well cruising around town but it didnt haul *** off the line, in hindsight Id been much happier dropping a H/C 6L in the truck with a radix and a nice tight stall. Get decent mileage and have tons of low end tq to play around town with. Just wish I could make my diesel have the neck snapping take off my Z had
Old 11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ive been on both sides of the fence. Ive had a few strokers and driven multiple FI setups along with the typical nitrous stuff. IMO for what most want on here a nice radix gets the job done, those that want a bit more go with a turbo but sacrifice some low end, then those that really want to push it go with bigger cubes. The bigger cubes is a pain in the *** not only in isntalling it, but gas mileage, pocket book, and generally is more tempermental in how it runs when compared to the same power output FI setup. My 418 with a 237/242 cam and 4K stall was awesome playing around town, the instant tq that 11.3:1CR gave me was fun at teh expense of single digit mileage(partly due to my foot), and really didnt make all tha tmuch more power then a nice radix truck. Now my 420 with a 224 cam and big heads ran well cruising around town but it didnt haul *** off the line, in hindsight Id been much happier dropping a H/C 6L in the truck with a radix and a nice tight stall. Get decent mileage and have tons of low end tq to play around town with. Just wish I could make my diesel have the neck snapping take off my Z had
Unfortunately, you were one of the guys I had in mind that scrapped their project shortly after getting it running.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which is why after all that I went through reliability ranks higher up there, therefore Id go with the setup I mentioned above. If I really had it to do all over again Id just buy my dmax, Im much happier with this truck then I ever could have been with a half ton

Quick Reply: Im Surprised More People Dont have 408's