Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

information on headwork? joejoe? mr.mix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: information on headwork? joejoe? mr.mix?

I think to spend that to run 12's is stupid as ****....Kevin has less than the cost of a blower in his all forged motor.....and he can run 12's on the motor all day once it is tuned....Then of course spray the **** out of it.....Buy a ls1 change the rods and pistons, and get some decent heads and cam and your truck will fly for less than 5000. just a thought....Thank you drive through....
Old 03-03-2003, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

I would have to go with hyde on this one. Get you a 5.7 and build a strong lower end. Go buy you some zo6 heads a dn take them to a person that can do really great port work and has flow numbers to back them self up with. For all that money you could build a total drive train that would kick ***.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the opinions guys. I am kind of on the same track as you sleeper silverado. I talked to futral motorsports this morning and Earl and I talked about the dependability and gas mileage issue and I think I will stay with th 5.3 liter. He also told me that the only thing that really needs to be beefed up in the 5.3 liter is the pistons. He said that the block and crank and rods are fine. Is this true?I am asking because hyde just said something about changing rods and pistons not just pistons? Sould they both be changed? I heard someone on this forum brag about our crank being good.

Also, is an ls1 aluminum block stronger,or can take more horsepower than an iron block? Or is it just weight difference?
Old 03-03-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

The crank should be fine but I would throw a set of H- beam rods in there. The 5.7 isnt stronger but it sheds { someone jump in here} about 60lbs off the front end of your truck. The 5.7 gets rid of heat better and its the sleaves that are taking all the abuse. Get some nice rods, forged flat tops, and a stock crank and you should be alright. Remember if your getting a set of bad *** heads, they like some compression and a cam that with enough lift to push the valve train. just my two cents
Old 03-04-2003, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I agree, but myself and Mix have both broke rods in these motors....I shattered the pistons and rod on the Gas, Mixs rod broke on a motor pass, and the rod blew the side of the motor out....The weight loss up front with the aluminum block and the heat transfer ...It is an obvious choice...Weight loss equals HP.....My 2 cents
Old 03-04-2003, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i replaced everything but the crank and lifters. the issue was brought up earlier about toeing with the aluminum block. im just building a stout 5.3 and then going to throw a lot at it either boost or spray?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Weight loss equals lower et not higher hp and I'm sure that Hyde knows that. We're building air pumps and the more air you can pump the more hp you can make. The 5.3 has it's limits. I could get a few more tenths out of mine if I threw some more money at it but I want to go faster than that so I'm looking at a 6.0. Wonder if I could sneak a big block in that truck?