Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Initial Radix Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first step in troubleshooting is eliminate as many variables as possible. In this instance, the indicated step is to load up the Magnuson tune, run it as it was meant to be run, and see if it is an install issue.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:52 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Is your current nelson tune even setup for the radix?

It sounds like he had an N/A nelson tune, installed the Radix, then couldn't dyno tune or install superchips on top of it. If so..... Running the radix with 42# fuel injectors on a 'hot' stock tune would completely explain the extremely rich condition, the dyno misfires, the catalytic converter failures, and low power numbers. 40 hp is good in that light, but its stupid to dyno (much less drive it at all) on the current tune. Feel lucky it was only failed converters.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex

It sounds like he had an N/A nelson tune, installed the Radix, then couldn't dyno tune or install superchips on top of it. If so..... Running the radix with 42# fuel injectors on a 'hot' stock tune would completely explain the extremely rich condition, the dyno misfires, the catalytic converter failures, and low power numbers. 40 hp is good in that light, but its stupid to dyno (much less drive it at all) on the current tune. Feel lucky it was only failed converters.
when you put it together like that, wow!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From reading the first post on this it sounded to me like he ran it on an N/A tune because he said that he couldn't even download the Superchips tune from Magnuson.

If that is the case that sure would explain alot.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
I really wish people would just start with the Magnuson Supplied tune and mod from there, at the very least you know the tune is correct, not to mention they are reported to make 120rwhp

BTW, I am 100% satisfied with the stock Magnuson tune!
My same lesson. It's so hard not to get caught up in doing it all at once. That should be the very first piece of advice for anybody who asks about putting FI on their truck, especially the radix. radix...then the superchips tune and go from there once everything is fine and you have eliminated install errors.

The other lesson is don't waste money on a dyno unless ALL bugs and tuning in the STFT is worked out, especially if you put a supercharger on and still have a NA tune. YIKES
Old 08-18-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS
From reading the first post on this it sounded to me like he ran it on an N/A tune because he said that he couldn't even download the Superchips tune from Magnuson.

If that is the case that sure would explain alot.
Right, like telling 42lb injectors to pump the same duty cycle as 24lb injectors.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar experience with mine that I didn't "resolve" til purchasing Flashscan... I had a mixed N/A & FI tune... FI injector flow rate, N/A Timing tables. 20* KR
Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on running the supplied Magnuson tune when i receive the "unlocked" computer. Boost is stock 5-6 psi.
As stated previously i already had a Nelson tune for my mods which ran well, but due to the fact that he locks his computers out i couldn't have started with the Magnuson tune even if i wanted to.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:43 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Capped 5.3
I plan on running the supplied Magnuson tune when i receive the "unlocked" computer. Boost is stock 5-6 psi.
As stated previously i already had a Nelson tune for my mods which ran well, but due to the fact that he locks his computers out i couldn't have started with the Magnuson tune even if i wanted to.
If you didn't have a compatable tune you shouldn't have run the truck with the SC on it.

In any event, good luck with your repairs and chaulk this one up as a lesson learned
Old 08-19-2005, 08:13 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Look at it this way.... as long as nothing else is hurt on it, you are going to be real happy with the results after you get the new tune.

You know, you can have a dealership update the PCM with a stock tune (overwrite the nelson), then you can upload the superchips. You might even get the catalytic converters replaced under warranty since emissions equip has like an 80K mile warranty. Then you could be driving it today.

Quick Reply: Initial Radix Numbers