Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Injectors out, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Injectors out, what to look for?

So here's the background. For as long as I've had tuning software now, I've had severe trim differences between the left and right banks, Intermittent stutter at idle, etc. I've exhausted all avenues up to this point and am checking out my injectors (radix supplied). I plan to re-install them with the odd-cylinder injectors switched with the even-cylinder ones to see if the Trim issues follow.

In the meantime, what obvious signs of issues might I see looking at one? O-ring appears chunked around the base of a few of them, I plan on replacing them. What O-rings do I purchase as a replacement? How do I go about cleaning the injectors while they are off the truck?

Thanks
Justin
Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, just having the Radix brought out some idle issues. I have the left/right trim issues as well. I think its probably a combo of intake leak and exhaust leak. It was worse before, but I think the radix intake bolts were becoming loose over time and I had a pinched injector Oring.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Hello Dave

Sprayed Seafoam down the "throat" of them all last night, let them soak and re-installed them this evening, swapping left bank for right bank. No more 15% difference in trims, max I've seen is 2% and both banks have negative trims, whereas before the pass was positive at least 1-2% across the board.

Idle is smoother, and PE mode NBO2 readings are more consistent.

What a pain to remount those injectors with that J-tube in place though...
Old 04-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Well that's freaking cool? How many miles on your Radix?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Well that's freaking cool? How many miles on your Radix?
About 35K total. 20 on the previous owner, 15 by me.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by dc_justin
About 35K total. 20 on the previous owner, 15 by me.
Between my 5.3 and the 6.0 in it now I am at about 20K. I was thinking of pulling the injectors and doing some clean up. I was thinking of doing the mod of 50#er's, but I might just do a cleaning. Glad to hear it all worked out. Better than I would of expected.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about how to clean my new used ones before I put them in, I didnt know if the seafoam down the throat would work or not. I wonder if carb cleaner would???? Also my truck is down right now, will it hurt anything to dump a little seafoam in there and let it sit a few days then just fire it up. (I mean put seafoam in them, and re install them with the seafoam in them then waiting a few days to crank the truck??)
Old 04-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by white1
I thought about how to clean my new used ones before I put them in, I didnt know if the seafoam down the throat would work or not. I wonder if carb cleaner would???? Also my truck is down right now, will it hurt anything to dump a little seafoam in there and let it sit a few days then just fire it up. (I mean put seafoam in them, and re install them with the seafoam in them then waiting a few days to crank the truck??)
I didn't seem to have any issues with the seafoam in mine. Did take a few cranks to fire up, but after that all seems well.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:12 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just wondering about leaving it in there for a long period of time (a few days) Id hate for it to break any gunk down then gum back up
Old 04-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

If you use carb cleaner make sure the orings are not on the injectors when you use it, it will dry them out.

Quick Reply: Injectors out, what to look for?