Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

inline fuel cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Put some ice cubes in the tank.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

completly pointless if you ask me.
and damn, i guess your a all around ******** arent you??
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
It is also a waste of time, money, and effort since it will do absolutely nothing for you whereas reattaching the transfer case to the trans lets you drive your truck.
Now is that just an opinion or fact? Whereas I don't have a transfer case on my 95 I need not apply.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Oh ****, now I see. I forgot about Atomic's transfer case fiasco.

I've always been a skeptic about cooling fuel and especially adding more connections to a readily combustible system..... I know with water it absorbs much more energy when it vaporizes. Gasoline doesn't have near the same latent heat though.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Coban
Oh ****, now I see. I forgot about Atomic's transfer case fiasco.

I've always been a skeptic about cooling fuel and especially adding more connections to a readily combustible system..... I know with water it absorbs much more energy when it vaporizes. Gasoline doesn't have near the same latent heat though.
Yea thats what I was giving him **** about.

I know and I've thought about it too, the connections that is. The one thing I do know is that with a wet flow intake the gas has a major cooling effect on it. Its sort of like cracking open a can of R12 and spraying it on a shop towel. Aside from the added connections I really can't think of any adverse effects of adding the cooler from a performance stand point.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I really don't think you'll see much gain on a gas truck. Dmax Diesels have them because there fuel get pressurized to 24-26,000psi. That creates a LOT of heat. That's why fuel coolers benefit them.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I really don't think you'll see much gain on a gas truck. Dmax Diesels have them because there fuel get pressurized to 24-26,000psi. That creates a LOT of heat. That's why fuel coolers benefit them.
The 2011s are supposed to be squeezing it to 30,000 psi. Someone needs to remind these guys that you can try all you want but you can't compress a liquid.

Maybe I should just use it as a power steering cooler when I put the hydroboost on.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
The 2011s are supposed to be squeezing it to 30,000 psi. Someone needs to remind these guys that you can try all you want but you can't compress a liquid.

Maybe I should just use it as a power steering cooler when I put the hydroboost on.
Yes you can. On a separate note, what happens to the boiling point of a liquid when you increase the pressure....
Old 02-15-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Atomic
Yes you can. On a separate note, what happens to the boiling point of a liquid when you increase the pressure....
I need an example. Remembering back to grade school science IIRC a liquid will compress a very small amount in contrast to a gas which easily compresses and rexpands.

Simple just like the pressure cooker mom used to use. Pressurizing a liquid raises its boiling point. Same thing as a 16 pound cap on a radiator.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
I need an example. Remembering back to grade school science IIRC a liquid will compress a very small amount in contrast to a gas which easily compresses and rexpands.

Simple just like the pressure cooker mom used to use. Pressurizing a liquid raises its boiling point. Same thing as a 16 pound cap on a radiator.
Exactly. And what temperature do you suppose gasoline boils at under 1 atmosphere of pressure? And from that, do you see why you would want to pressurize a liquid that is flowing through a hot area even though you arent actually compressing the liquid? If you are feeling really confident, look up the advantages of a returnless fuel system compared to a return-style in this respect.

Last edited by Atomic; 02-15-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: inline fuel cooler