Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Input Needed: Building 243 Heads for High Revving Twin Turbo LR4 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use stock gm gaskets with the 3.901 diameter... but idk why youd give them your head gaskets?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gasmachine85
Use stock gm gaskets with the 3.901 diameter... but idk why youd give them your head gaskets?
I'm having them hone the block and would like the head gaskets to be matched. Just to make sure. With the 3.901 I may not even have to worry.

They told me everything they want me to bring them, including my harmonic balancer, which is a SLP, so they can balance that as well with the crank.

I did my research and trust this shop. They've made and saved a bunch of cars before, so I'm excited.

I plan to have the block honed, and am going to get some new pistons. Probably something like this.
99-04 Chevy GMC 4.8L V8 LR4 Flat Top Pistons & Rings | eBay

I decided against forged. I don't think I'll need them, and on top of that, I want this car to be more street than track. Starting the car and letting it sit for 10 minutes to warm up isn't my favorite thing to do. Pretty much I just like to see the idle drop, then I'll take off.

My thing I guess, haha.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

i didnt open the link but i see it says ebay.. please dont buy "ebay" pistons etc for your build... you should definitely give brian a cal over at LME. Those guys got some killer prices.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Launching!

i didnt open the link but i see it says ebay.. please dont buy "ebay" pistons etc for your build... you should definitely give brian a cal over at LME. Those guys got some killer prices.
It's not like Wiseco/Diamond and other big brands are not sold on eBay. Those ones are "Enginetech" Hyper-eutectic. They have a pretty solid track record from what I've read.

I'd prefer to have huper-eutectic over forged. No reason I can't get good numbers out of these, and if I want more just do methanol, e85, nitrous on the intercooler, or even throw some ice on my manifold to try and keep the heat down.

On the street I won't need any of that. At least I don't think I will.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

if your going boosted and above 10 psi id 100% recomend forged... but if i were building from ground up id def go with forged from the get go. my biggest fear wouldbe melting a hyper-eutectic down in the tuning proccess due to detonation.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Launching!

The only forged piston I've been able to find is a Wiseco and I can't even tell if it's for the GenIII/IV 4.8L blocks or the older GenII and earlier GM blocks.

In all honesty I'm having a tough time finding 4.8L performance parts as is. I bought an Underdrive Crank Pulley, double roller timing chain, and slp oil pump for my LS2. I am in hopes I can get them to hook up to the 4.8.

Where are the performance websites making parts for the LR4/LM7???

Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Give LME a call... they are a sponsor here so im sure you can find their link... Brian is a great dude to order from and he will hook you up with everything you need, not try to sell you crap just to make an extra buck.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Now that i think of it, im pretty sure 3.905 is the smallest diameter piston youll find but companies like weisco and dimond will certainly make you custom pistons.. ive never looked for anything in the same bore size as a 4.8l which i believe is something like 3.780"....
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Just thought of this... the stock bore on a Grand National is 3.800 inches. So just buy 8 stock pistons for a gn and hone your cylinder walls to 3.805 get some custom rods made and your gtg! :-D
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Just thought of this... the stock bore on a Grand National is 3.800 inches. So just buy 8 stock pistons for a gn and hone your cylinder walls to 3.805 get some custom rods made and your gtg! :-D
This is what I've been able to find. I think these will work. I don't want to get custom rods. I like the stock ones. They, as well as the crank, should work fine and have proven strong enough. The pistons are my worry, haha.

Wiseco -2.2cc 3.78 - 3.80 Flat-Top Piston Set

Quick Reply: Input Needed: Building 243 Heads for High Revving Twin Turbo LR4 build