Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Input Needed: Building 243 Heads for High Revving Twin Turbo LR4 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there ya go.. now call up weisco to make sure they will work with the stock rods and then order 'em up!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gasmachine85
Hey there ya go.. now call up weisco to make sure they will work with the stock rods and then order 'em up!
Yea I'll check on this. If they work I'm in good shape. I'd prefer to stay flat top, but I just want to hone it, not bore. So I guess -2cc is what I'm stuck with.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Launching!

I messaged LME and Texas-Speed about the pistons.

TS got back to me and said "I don’t know of anyone that will sell a piston for the stock displacement 4.8l. No one wants to make a piston setup for the different stroke unless you go custom."

Damn it. What the hell are the guys running here for pistons? I see plenty of turbo guys running 9's 10's at the track w/the 4.8L.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

call up weisco, you can buy direct from them and they have amazing customer service.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gasmachine85
call up weisco, you can buy direct from them and they have amazing customer service.
I talked with Wiseco. I will need a custom set of pistons. I'll have to send in one of the stock pistons.

I plan to keep the stock rods.

The prices are much more reasonable than expected.

$110 per piston, $15 each to have them coated, and about $20 per ring.

I'm looking at $1160 for the set. Not too bad for custom.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

For the money that you will spend for custom pistons,why not go with a larger bore and use an off the shelf forged piston?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
For the money that you will spend for custom pistons,why not go with a larger bore and use an off the shelf forged piston?
It's only about $200 more for a set of custom pistons and rings so not too bad. I'd like to keep the smaller bore, stock rod length, keep it as close to 4.8L as possible. If I bored it over anymore to grab the LM7 pistons, I'd have to get new rods too. Although a pretty big oversquare engine would be pretty nice, I'm doing this build because I think it will be pretty badass and will put some "theories" to rest over on the Goat forums.

If this works out pretty good, you better believe I will oversquare build my next motor pretty nice!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicklynx
I messaged LME and Texas-Speed about the pistons.

TS got back to me and said "I don’t know of anyone that will sell a piston for the stock displacement 4.8l. No one wants to make a piston setup for the different stroke unless you go custom."

Damn it. What the hell are the guys running here for pistons? I see plenty of turbo guys running 9's 10's at the track w/the 4.8L.
Stock pistons
Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mcfarlnd
Stock pistons
So the stock pistons really hold up that good? If I just stuck with them I should be fine? I mean, guys are doing it.

It would save me $1000+ if I did. if I gap the rings it should keep the heat pretty low.

Problem is I only plan to run pump 93 gas, or e85 without any meth injection.

Would the 9/10/11's be obtainable without the meth?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure on the meth. Why wouldn't you want meth anyway? I do know there are guys on here putting heavy trucks in the 11s with stock flat top pistons. Search around on here a little bit and you will find them. If I'm not mistaken, I think 1 is in the 10's

Quick Reply: Input Needed: Building 243 Heads for High Revving Twin Turbo LR4 build