Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

install or no

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install or no

Ive posted a thread awhile back about some valve springs and my cam i plan on putting in my 5.3 CC GMC got brought up. Its a v2 tourqer cam i bought from a buddy of mine that he got from TSP. Some say its to big and some say its ok. Im trying to figure out exactly the problem if any with this install and if i should buy a different one or not before i go and actually do the install. I plan on adding a TC probably about a 3600 from yank or circle d. And custom tune and a set of dual springs with a max lift of. 650 with titanium retainers from a shop out west. Dont think i can say the name up here. All im trying to find out is the pros and cons of this cam before i install it this week. Been on storm repair getting power back on for 3 weeks and finally going home to work on my truck for a week like i was planning on doing before i got called out. Thanks guys
Old 07-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

I'd say that cam is a bit big, esp for a CC. Will you be DD the truck with that verter?

What are your plans/goals with the truck? That will help us to better suggest a combo for you.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Its not really my daily driver. I work out of town all week and i just drive it on the weekends. I plan on doing a custom Turbo on it in the future. And yes i know i will use a different cam for the turbo. And maybe a few other mods. Like the reps of the 20 inch tbss rims. I just got that v2 cam for cheap and.loved the way it sounded in his SS camero. Would a smaller stall work as well if that cam and perform just as good.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not going to like that cam's performance in a 5.3L CC truck with it being so heavy. The torquer v2 is 232/234 .595"/.598". That cam is made for a light car such as a camaro.

Yeah the cam is going to sound really good, but you will be really disappointed with the results though. For it to run pretty good in your 5.3L CC, you would need all the supporting mods. Proper gearing, new heads, new intake such as a TBSS/NNBS intake if your truck isn't a NNBS, built trans, 9.5" 3800rpm or higher converter, true-trac, headers, etc..
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Would about a 224 be what i am looking for and perform well in my truck. Ive read about them and people ive seen seem to love them
Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

It all depends when you want the power to come in.

Gears, cam, and converter should all be matched to what you're looking for to take advantage of all of them...and tuned accordingly.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A TR 224 or a TSP 224 would be a better choice over the torquer V2, but what all supporting mods are you willing to get?

Id personally still get a smaller diameter 3400-3600rpm torque converter for the 224/224 cam, and you may need better gearing too. How big are the tires/wheels you have currently on the truck? A 10" or 9.5" 3400-3600rpm converter would work well enough with a 224/224 cam in your truck with the proper gearing.

If you get something along the lines of a Vinci 216/224 cam, you won't have to necessarily jump into all the supporting mods right away for it to run pretty good. I'd probably still get at least a 3200 rpm converter for the vinci 216/224 soon as you could though.

Another choice is a comp 212/218 low lift cam which is a torque cam. Some people run that cam on stock converter until they can afford an aftermarket torque converter.

So it boils down to how much money you are willing to put into the setup, and what exactly do you want out of the truck.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

For right now till my buddy and i do our custom turbo kits which will be 6 months or so from now( he just had a little girl). I want a cam that sounds good with a low lsa and pulls real good. From stop light to light and surprise alot of people and if i need to go on and buy a stall thats not a problem. I would just like to by a stall that will work for now and with the turbo once i install it( if a stall is needed with a turbo) im still new and reading alot on turbo systems and getting good knowledge about them. Money really isnt an issue unless were talking about 10 grand or so which i know its not gonna be all that
Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

My tires are 285/70/17 im thinking about keeping my 17's and putting some street slicks on it just for strip. And going with some after market tbss 20's
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Since im not installing the V2 Cam a buddy of mine decided to stroke his ls1 and got the V2 cam from me. He gave me a cam which he didnt need any more. Not really fam. with it. Its a custom comp cam specs are 216/220 525/532 with a 114 LSA. Any info on this cam? Not sure if it would be worth my while to install it or not. but for free i was like hell sure ill take it

Quick Reply: install or no