Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Installed new Jeg's offroad pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new Jeg's offroad pipe

Everything is good except the rear flange where it bolts up the the exhaust leaks.. the pipe on the Jeg's piece is too small and it will not pull the 2 pieces together enough.. will get that fixed tomorrow.

Sound wise.. its just a bit louder.. it sounds great (besides the exhaust leaks)

No smell.. but im running full exhaust (Magnaflow)

I would say besides that little piece its worth the time and money.. took about 25 minutes to put in.

Will tune out the rear 02's and have some fun..

I recommend it.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much does there y-pipe cost?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i replaced my cats with cut outs.....
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by aksz71
how much does there y-pipe cost?
$199.99 from jegs/
Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

i was wanting to check this out and it took me a while to find so i thought i would save the rest of you the trouble and toss you guys a link
i think this is it...
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/31004/10002/-1
Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont see much point in this pipe myself. The vast majority of the restriction is in the manifolds, not the Y pipe.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I dont see much point in this pipe myself. The vast majority of the restriction is in the manifolds, not the Y pipe.
The convertors are a HUGE restriction... and the flat crossover (from the factory is another restriction)... its all mandrel bent.. better flow=more power..

try this .. run down the street with your hand over your mouth.. see if you can breathe.. same thing with internal combustion engines.. they have to breathe!

For anybody who is wanting to get this piece .. get it.. its a nice piece and is a cheaper alternative to replacing the cats and sounds better than doing the ghetto way with hollowing out the cats.
Very easy install and can be done all with HAND tools.. no need for air.... depending on your mechanical ability.. can be done in less than 45 minutes.

Last edited by Lc2SFIv6; 01-16-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Pic (borrowed this from another member)

Side by Side..
Attached Thumbnails Installed new Jeg's offroad pipe-dynopics002.jpg  
Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lc2SFIv6
The convertors are a HUGE restriction... and the flat crossover (from the factory is another restriction)... its all mandrel bent.. better flow=more power..

try this .. run down the street with your hand over your mouth.. see if you can breathe.. same thing with internal combustion engines.. they have to breathe!

For anybody who is wanting to get this piece .. get it.. its a nice piece and is a cheaper alternative to replacing the cats and sounds better than doing the ghetto way with hollowing out the cats.
Very easy install and can be done all with HAND tools.. no need for air.... depending on your mechanical ability.. can be done in less than 45 minutes.
Actually, the stock converters flow very well. Given a stockish engine, there's basically nothing to be gained power wise that you will feel from deleting cats. Your restriction is in the manifolds, upstream of the Y pipe. You could put the best Y pipe in the world on there and it wont matter with the bottleneck produced by the manifolds. I'm not knocking the product because it looks like an easy bolt in, clean way to delete cats if that's your thing. But I am extremely skeptical that doing this will give you any noticeable power gains, especially given the fact that the Y pipe is still 2 1/4" in diameter, regardless of the mandrel bends.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

I have to fully agree with GMCtrk. Your money would be much better spent on a set of headers. A buddy was going to do a similar mod on an 05 Silverado 5.3L and we installed a back pressure gauge in place of a front O2 sensor for a test. Yes, it turned on the light, but we still got a reading. At WOT (wide open throttle) and 5,000 RPM while driving, he had .8 or 8/10ths of a pound of back pressure with stock cats and exhaust. Anything less than 5 to 8 LBS is considered to be fine and he had less than 1 LB. The only way you would have seen a real gain is if your cats were partially plugged from some kind of contamination. Your on the right track with the mandrel bent pipes, but I would have suggested moving in another direction. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Installed new Jeg's offroad pipe