Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Installing Addtional driving lights. Anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Modern_Muscle
what lights are you planning to install?

Most, you can run a dedicated line from the + terminal, to a fuse then a switch, and you are golden. If you have multiple sets, and arent going to pull an assload of current, you can also put in a small distribution block, like you would for multiple car audio amplifiers.

Now, if you only want them to come on with high beams, etc, you can also put in a relay.
Ok, cool, so I read a lot about stuff while at work last night, and yeah, what you're saying is right. For some reason i started worrying about the amps, volts and watts and how to adjust the right settings for each component. But whatever is built to be used in a car can technically just be hooked up and ready to be used.

All a person has to worry about is the type of wire you're using, and watching your amperage so you can determine what strength fuse, relay and switch to use.

So, I'm all set!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also keep in mind how the wires are insulated and secured, you don't want them to corrode or get pinched and create a short to ground
Old 03-27-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless you are running about 8 sets of 150w lights, I dont think anything will have any problems using 12-14 gauge, depending on how many you want to run.

If you are going to run a lot, use an 8 gauge line to the D-Block, and then 12-14 from there to each set.

An inline fuse in the 8ga, and one in each of the 12-14ga, just for safety imo.

you never know what can happen on 1 set of lights that can affect all of them, unless each is isolated by its own fuse.