Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Installing Cam...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgray
Nwo they all recommend a LONGER crank bolt??? I know the bolts are a one time use bolt...but why a longer one???

Also..If I get an ASP underdrive, the botl that it comes with, that means i wouldnt ahve to buy a new crank bolt correct?
The purpose for the longer bolt is to pull the balancer on far enough so that the OEM bolt will reach threads. It is recommended that you replace any torque to yield bolt since they’re designed to only be used once
Old 01-22-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bgray
Yah i am a bit worried about jsut spinning the cam and yaankign ti out..last thing i want is a lifter to drop out..
go buy yourself some pen magnets......i dont suggest doing your cam with lifter sitting in their seats.....any vibration will knock them loose.....
Old 01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by introligator
I was going to put a dbl roller chain on mine, but was unable to remove the oil pump...in order to take off the pump you have to remove the the pick up tube which in turns means lower the oil pan (unless someone knows a secret)....I didn't want to deal with lowering the pan so I passed on the chain....also reused every single original gasket...not one single leak

i used a double chain.... it is a bit of a PITA to get the two bolts that hold the pick up tube to the oil pump, but it can be done....just take your time. once that pump is off its a breeze.....go with the double chain....to me - its worth it
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck had 100k miles on it when we pulled out the cam with the russian roulette method. All the lifters stayed up with no issues. At one point we called it a day and left the truck alone for the night. The next day when I went to put in the pushrods all the lifters were still up.

As far as the oil pump-with that few miles no you don't need to replace it. Just keep as much **** out of the engine as possible.

Like said the crank bolt doesn't stay on your truck. It just helps put the crank pulley on since its a press fit style(for lack of proper terminology)

As far as dropping the pan, just loosten all the bolts. Some are kinda a bitch, but if you have a 2wd truck it's easy, just messy. there should be 10 10mm bolts and 2 15mm bolts holding the oil pan.

As far as gaskets go. I reused all my gaskets without issue. They all look damn near perfect so I didn't bother. Just put some gasket maker where the block meets the oil pan in the bottom left and ride sides.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:16 PM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ooo I get yah guys now. Does anyone know the correct size that the crank bolt is??? what is the stock one, and what length should i get to pull the pulley on???

thnks
Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got mine from McMaster Carr. 91310A868 m16 X 2 X120mm. Had to buy 5.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

I almost lost a lifter doing it the russian roulette method.turned the radio off in the garage when the cam was like 3 in out then I heard the lifters clinking on the cam I almost craped myself. I went with the 5/16 wooden dowel after that. wouldnt do it any other way. I took 2 factory balancer bolts cut them in to the length that I needed then welded them back together to make the length to reinstall the balancer. thats what happens at 2am when nothings open
Old 01-22-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

oops. i forgot to mention that we did still use the metal rods, but technically we didn't need them. LOL. That was a key detail I left out.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at you Mark, Mr.Cam Swap Expert now

Damn glad throwing the new oil pump fixed the problem, I was getting tired of working on that damn thing

Bgray, if you cant find the longer bolt I can get one for you for ~10 bucks with a washer from a local speciality bolt place.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Look at you Mark, Mr.Cam Swap Expert now

Damn glad throwing the new oil pump fixed the problem, I was getting tired of working on that damn thing

Bgray, if you cant find the longer bolt I can get one for you for ~10 bucks with a washer from a local speciality bolt place.
Well **** I might as well be!! You learn a few things after watching somebody take apart your engine 3 times. Yea, I am glad too. I have it running great now thanks to Rhino79. The only problem is that I'm gonna need a new tranny soon. I haven't even let it shift at the 6400 shift point yet. It pulls so hard up high that I end up pussing out and letting off the gas at around 5500 in fear that my transmission will blow.

I don't even want to think about what it's gonna be like in your truck Cody once you get everything put it. You gotta give me a ride sometime when it's done.

Quick Reply: Installing Cam...