Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Installing Cam...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgray
how long did it take everyone else to do theres????

40 hours is kidna ridiculous....Plus I have a Class A Tech comming to help me...
LOL, well here's what 40 hours included:
Completely stripping down the engine and reassembling it 3 times, dropping the oil pan to get to put a new oil pump in the 3rd time disassembling, draining the coolant 2 times. Oh it also included a trip to the parts store 2 times to buy an oil pump and some metal rods, another trip to buy some kitty litter and a hose for spilling coolant.

Theres a ton of other **** that went wrong but it pains me to talk about it.

I guarantee you that after doing this swap I could do it in 8 hours with the crank spring compressor. My knowledge of this swap is strictly from watching Cody(1slow01z71) do pretty much everything for me.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't think you understand the deal with the longer crank bolt(I know I didn't until I saw how it worked).

Basically the pulley is pressed on there. You can't just unbolt it and pull it off. When you get it off, it has to go back on so the best way is to put this longer crank bolt on. This bolt will catch the threads easier since it's longer and there is less chance of stripping the crank threads.After you have turned the longer crank bolt for a while, unbolt it and put the stock one back on.

All the longer crank bolt is is an installation tool. You don't leave it on there and it just helps press the pulley back on the motor.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:05 PM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yah thats what i said

Alright, just didnt know if it was a specialty bolt...so jsut get a longer one to pull the pulley on, and then take it out and put my stock one back on right??

So far my lsit is
longer crank bolt
Water pump gasket
Timing cover gasket
Front Seal
5/16 dowel
LSx valve spring tool
Compression fitting
Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

oh ok my bad. Like I said, I didn't understand it at first so I didn't want you to install the longer bolt and then not take it out.Looks like you're on the right track though for parts.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yah thats what i said
Except that you shouldn't reuse your stock one, you should use a NEW stock damper bolt. They are a one time use only type of bolt and can bust off very easily once torqued down to spec.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:19 PM

aaaa okay. Well....I will get from ARP i guess what are the specs on that bolt???
I will look it up on ARP acutally...what would the correct name of the bolt be???
Old 01-24-2007, 05:22 PM

ooo found it...harmonic balancer bolt..
Now do I ahve to sue one liek that...or can I jsut get a m16x2.0 pitch bolt and use that insstead??? what length is the stock one? I know the long ones u need 120mm..what length is stock...wanna go pick these bolts up asap
Old 02-03-2007, 07:33 AM

anybody?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:45 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

i know the "recommendation" is to replace the crank bolt, but i haven't had any problems reusing my stock bolt... and that's after putting nearly 3000 miles on it since the first cam swap. I know a few other local folks (and they're on this board) that have done the same w/o issue.

Your decision on getting a new one. Just pay the dealer if it's that much of a concern.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

ooo found it...harmonic balancer bolt..
Now do I ahve to sue one liek that...or can I jsut get a m16x2.0 pitch bolt and use that insstead??? what length is the stock one? I know the long ones u need 120mm..what length is stock...wanna go pick these bolts up asap
I personally, would use a bolt that was MEANT to be used in the manner you are going to be using it. IE. the stock bolt was made to hold the balancer on, you should replace it with a new GM one... all the local bolt places around here, couldnt find one to match it... sure, they had the right thread and what-not, but the factory one has a wide head to hold the pulley better with... sure, you could use a washer, but i'd rather have the original... your choice though!

Quick Reply: Installing Cam...