Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Installing electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing electric fans

I'm having a hell of a time. I'm not much of a mechanic.

Can't get the fking clutch fan off. Read through a search that I can strap the belt around the water pump pulley to hold it from rotating.

Couldn't get the belt off though. Then I read that you rotate the tensioner to loosen the belt. Didn't say which way so I rotated it counter-clockwise. Fk that just tightened it more. So I rotated it clockwise and yanked the belt off quick, fkin tensioner slams back.

Now the tensioner is way too tight. How in Gods name do you loosen it?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

you have to use a prybar and push the tensoiner in
Old 12-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Launching!

I don't follow.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't ever done this before I would guess if you use a prybar on the tensioner and tighten the belt as tight as you can get it then use another wrench on the clutch fan you might be able to break it loose. I would give that a try
Old 12-22-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Not much of a mechanic you say. Ahhh, "A Blank Canvas", as we say when we get a trainee.

First, You do not have to remove the belt, but if you find the need to...
You put a wrench or socket on the tensioner shaft nut and spring it back and slide the belt off. Some tensioners have a 3/8" square hole you can stick an extension in and spring it back that way.
The fan? The nut is a 1-&-7/16" hex.
Look at the face of the pulley. There are 4 holes. A special spanner tool goes in 2 of the holes to hold the pulley back while loosening the fan nut.
Some are tighter than others. The one I removed was looser than I expected it should be.
Try this, you may get lucky. Get a friend and an open end 1-7/16" wrench. Get a large hammer. Preferably a dead blow unit. I have Copper hammers for this kind of stuff but a good ole ball peen will do. Get your friend to rap the wrench while you support the pulley with gloved hands. If a few good raps do not loosen it stop.
Make sure your hands are not were the wrench will get then if the nut loosens easily.
Whach out for belt buckle marks on the fenders.
Go to dealer and order a tool?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Hey thanks for the information. This should be useful whenever I have to change the belt, or install a supercharger.

I already took the belt off though. Before I did though I tightened the damn thing all the way. It looks like there are three marks on the tensioner and the mark on the part that rotates is on the third mark on the part that doesn't rotate. That make sense? So the damn thing is as tight as it can get and If I put a belt back on I'm afraid I will fk up the water pump because the belt will be way too tight.

So how do I, how do I say this, reset? the belt tensioner?

Well, I'll just have to start asking around to find one of these spanner tools.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Launching!

bump.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Is a belt tensioner a throwaway kindof thing? It gets too tight and then you just replace it or what?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:55 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

yes the tentioner is a throw away deal, what i did to remove the fan was use a pipe wrench and a hammer while wife was holding a prybar under the water pump and against the pulley tentioner 3 good hits and it was broke loose (hit the pipe wrench) lol sorry.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you guys took the clutch fan off, what did you guys use to hold the pulley to the water pump? One of my friends said to leave it like that and since then I just have the pulley attatched to the water pump and no bolt.

Quick Reply: Installing electric fans