Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

installing hangers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb installing hangers

need some info or a guide to install some hangers on a 00 Silverado ext cab reg bed. going to try and do this on monday or wednesday and i have no idea whats ahead of me

thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

first off, jack up the rear of the truck and set some jackstands.(Make sure you secure the truck so it wont roll of while your under it.The easiest way is to borrow a air hammer and knock out the factory rivets. You'll need to move the gas tank over a bit. With the rivets removed you can loosen the bolt that goes through the hanger and leafs. Install the hanger and tighten the bolt to the hanger, jack up the rearend so the leaf lines up with the hole on the hanger and install and tighten. Put gas tank back in place, and move on to the next side. Passanger side is alot easier. If you have any questions pm me
Old 02-02-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going a 4 inch rear drop, just install some shackles and dearch the leaf springs for the last 2 more inches. I got this done real cheap and it beats the major pain in the *** of installing some hangers.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well this is what he bought...the eibach hangers. so thats what we are installing. im concerned about getting the rivets to come loose, and moving the gas tank.. other than that i think i can get this done

anyone else have any tips for me
Old 02-05-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

any body else.. im getting nervous about the rivets.. i think i will try and install these things tomorrow.. any online guides or pics of what i wil be taking off/ changing out...

i dont know about trucks. f bodies.. yes.. trucks NO

any other sites out there that could be beneficial
Old 02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00NBMCamaro
any body else.. im getting nervous about the rivets.. i think i will try and install these things tomorrow.. any online guides or pics of what i wil be taking off/ changing out...

i dont know about trucks. f bodies.. yes.. trucks NO

any other sites out there that could be beneficial
For the rivets Id say find a buddy with air tools. Use an air hammer to knock the heads of the rivets off. Then drive the shaft of the rivet out. It cant be too terribly hard. Get a buddy and tag team them hangers. Then post some pics!
Old 02-06-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else have ideas on getting the rivets off...air tools are out of the question.. no one has them that i know
Old 02-06-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00NBMCamaro
anyone else have ideas on getting the rivets off...air tools are out of the question.. no one has them that i know
grinder - grind the head off
Torch - cut the head off - carefully
Old 02-06-2004, 10:12 AM
14 Second Truck Club

http://www.djmsuspension.com/Instruc...structions.htm
here are some helpful instructions. all the hangers are the same. make sure your doing the front hangers not the rear hangers. i did this job about 2 weeks ago and it SUXS. it took me about 4-5 hrs. you better have a air hammer and a grinder or it will take twice as long as me. Have fun
Old 02-06-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unhappy

how much do you guys think a shop like MTI would charge for the instal... those rivets are to tough for me i think and my limited heavy duty tools they said like 2 hours of labor...

Quick Reply: installing hangers