Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Intake manifold flow bench shootout

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes.

seach button is your friend go to sleep its past your bed time
Old 03-15-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone remember who it was that had the saying, 'I've got moe horsepower on my floor than you'll ever have'??? Grippy is starting to take on that role.

Good info to say the least! I would like to see the difference in the rear cylinder and the front one on a single side of either manifold, preferably the truck. I'd expect them all to be similar in design and net similar results in that area. I think doing just one would suffice.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:26 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyer
Anyone remember who it was that had the saying, 'I've got moe horsepower on my floor than you'll ever have'??? Grippy is starting to take on that role.
Hey! I'm working on a new project man things take time....yada yada yada

should be finishing up the exhaust this weekend and I will be moving forward with new mods soon
Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Do you think there is any way you can get your hands on a FAST intake?
I'm working on that. If I can get one of each (78 or 90mm) I'll test them both.

Richard
Old 03-15-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Richard covered that real world testing at the track and dyno could yield different results. I seem to recall that someone recently on here picked up .4 secs in the 1/4 with a regular LS1 intake swap which flows less than the truck on the flowbench. Reguardless, it is still good info. The flowbench can't measure the total flow of 8 runners and the change in dynamics as rpms increase. An intake works as a harmonius unit rather than an idividual runner like a head can be measured.
So by having real world results completely contradictory to these results, proving my point that "Engines are way to dynamic to rate intake manifolds by flow bench results," it is good information

Take a dozen identical sheet metal intake manifolds and flow them. then add 1inch to each of the runners of the first runner. add 2'' to the second manifold's runners. Add 3'' to the 3rd and so on.

Flow them, I bet they will be extremely close, especially after considering flow bench variation from "pull to pull"

I bet the one with the best CFM doesn't flow the most.

Take another 12 and vary the cross section.

Take another 12 and vary the plenum volume

Take another 12 vary the shape of the plenum

Then take those 48 and place them on a 4.8 with 12 different cams
Then get 12 different sets of headers and make 144 combinations with the 12 different cams. Then get a 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 etc and do the above to all of those.

Suddenly you realize you have nothing but a measure of major and minor head losses.

Richard, I'm not sure what kind of data acquisition tools you have available, but what WOULD be excellent would be to run each manifold on an engine driven by a dynamometer (no spark or fuel) and measure the flow rate in a given port (preferably every port). Even if you couldn't give a number but could show a chart with voltages or stagnation pressures (read: if you don’t have time to calibrate a MAF to an intake port, which I doubt you do). Given that the geometry of each port is similar and air characteristics wont change much, I don’t think there would be too much confusion in interpreting the results.

I guess it would basically be some kind of flow meter in the intake port and the engine is driven by a dynamometer that linearly increases speed at a rate of say... 500 rpm per second.

do this for each manifold and it would be awesome. If you feel ambitious, do it on different engines sizes or even different exhaust setups.
Now those would be some interesting numbers!

Yeah, I know- easier said than done If anyone has a spare engines and manifolds kicking around, I bet I could convince my university to let me do this as an independent study. Ls7 are preferred, and non-returnable, given the nature of the test.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by treyZ28
So by having real world results completely contradictory to these results, proving my point that "Engines are way to dynamic to rate intake manifolds by flow bench results," it is good information

Take a dozen identical sheet metal intake manifolds and flow them. then add 1inch to each of the runners of the first runner. add 2'' to the second manifold's runners. Add 3'' to the 3rd and so on.

Flow them, I bet they will be extremely close, especially after considering flow bench variation from "pull to pull"

I bet the one with the best CFM doesn't flow the most.

Take another 12 and vary the cross section.

Take another 12 and vary the plenum volume

Take another 12 vary the shape of the plenum

Then take those 48 and place them on a 4.8 with 12 different cams
Then get 12 different sets of headers and make 144 combinations with the 12 different cams. Then get a 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 etc and do the above to all of those.

Suddenly you realize you have nothing but a measure of major and minor head losses.

Richard, I'm not sure what kind of data acquisition tools you have available, but what WOULD be excellent would be to run each manifold on an engine driven by a dynamometer (no spark or fuel) and measure the flow rate in a given port (preferably every port). Even if you couldn't give a number but could show a chart with voltages or stagnation pressures (read: if you don’t have time to calibrate a MAF to an intake port, which I doubt you do). Given that the geometry of each port is similar and air characteristics wont change much, I don’t think there would be too much confusion in interpreting the results.

I guess it would basically be some kind of flow meter in the intake port and the engine is driven by a dynamometer that linearly increases speed at a rate of say... 500 rpm per second.

do this for each manifold and it would be awesome. If you feel ambitious, do it on different engines sizes or even different exhaust setups.
Now those would be some interesting numbers!

Yeah, I know- easier said than done If anyone has a spare engines and manifolds kicking around, I bet I could convince my university to let me do this as an independent study. Ls7 are preferred, and non-returnable, given the nature of the test.
Yeah Richard, don't you have 6 months to work on this non profit research study?
treyz28- if you could pull it off it would be awsome.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Yeah Richard, don't you have 6 months to work on this non profit research study?
treyz28- if you could pull it off it would be awsome.

It was obviously a bit sarcastic, but 6 months? You work in a union shop?
You wouldn't even have to wire up an engine. Just instrument a manifold.

I'll happily propose it if I can get the engines and manifolds. No way my school would fund an independant study like this. Since I have a free elective left for my last semester, they wouldn't care much considering I can take ANY class like.... pottery 101 and it would be ok.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So whats the word on any of the dynamometer testing with a real world engine were you able to set it up Trey?
How about test the manifolds attached to the heads?

What gets me is the Vic JR. it outflows all at low lift and on an engine it doesnt make more power until after 6000 rpms wonder whats going on there?

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 10-31-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 PM
.T.
TECH Resident

bump

Thx for the info, Richard.