Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Intake Manifold Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Suggestions

Ive started shopping around for an intake manifold that im gonna pair up with some 243 heads. Ive been thinking about these two...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7139/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-300-123/overview/

Does anyone have these and if so do they work well and if no one has them does anyone know anything about them? Also does anyone have any other recommendations? They are about the same price when u factor in the fuel rails as the holley comes with them and edelbrock doesnt. I was orriginally thinking about a tbss intake but not sure now. As far as power i would like to keep it in the low-mid range, thats why im not considering an ls6 intake or similiar. I have the stock 78mm tb that i will p and p and i also have a 87 or 90 tb? which came off of an 07 tahoe with the 6.0. near soon future mods will be a bigger cam, a stall, and spray. any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the future mods you listed I honestly think a ported TBSS intake with a 92mm TB will do more than fine bro Holley intake is good for high rpm ranges, the Pro-Flo EFI is also a good intake but i think you could benefit more than good with a TBSS intake.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your barking up the wrong tree if you want to keep midrange and low end. These manifolds are designed for high reving top end setups.

Stick with a NNBS, TBSS or FAST intake manifold.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
For the future mods you listed I honestly think a ported TBSS intake with a 92mm TB will do more than fine bro Holley intake is good for high rpm ranges, the Pro-Flo EFI is also a good intake but i think you could benefit more than good with a TBSS intake.
thats what i was kinda thinking. i found some reviews on youtube and they said for high hp high revving applications.

Originally Posted by jmgak47
Your barking up the wrong tree if you want to keep midrange and low end. These manifolds are designed for high reving top end setups.

Stick with a NNBS, TBSS or FAST intake manifold.
are you talking about the fast car intake or truck? i heard they were junk cuz they never fit right or always leaked? is the tbss the same as the nnbs intake? also i may have the wrong info but my stock tb is a 78mm but i also have one off of an 07 (i think) tahoe with a 6.0...thats an 87mm or a 90mm right?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would stick with the TBSS intake as well. In theory, it would suite you better. The TBSS intake is the same as the NNBS. I got mine off of ebay for $150 shipped. You will want to upgrade to the 90mm tb when you do the swap to make it worthwhile.

A lot of guys have issues with the truck FAST manifold and some don't. Its a drop in a bucket but I've never heard anyone complain about the TBSS intake. Especially since it is so cheap vs going aftermarket.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I would stick with the TBSS intake as well. In theory, it would suite you better. The TBSS intake is the same as the NNBS. I got mine off of ebay for $150 shipped. You will want to upgrade to the 90mm tb when you do the swap to make it worthwhile.

A lot of guys have issues with the truck FAST manifold and some don't. Its a drop in a bucket but I've never heard anyone complain about the TBSS intake. Especially since it is so cheap vs going aftermarket.
ths tbss is what i was originally gonna go with. so is that tb i mentioned earlier a 90mm or no? if so then im already on my way towards the tbss setup
Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whats about the holly mid rise instead of the high rise?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...make/chevrolet

how ever the tbss intake would be good also.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bobfig
whats about the holly mid rise instead of the high rise?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...make/chevrolet

how ever the tbss intake would be good also.
i was thinking about this also but i dont know how much different it is from the hi rise
Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mid rise will make even less torque, the pro flow is a good intake for a stroker motor spinning to 7k or 6.0 going to 7000-7500, the holley is made to pull to 8k. These intakes and kind of like huge cams for these truck's, looks promising on a dyno but real world performance you gain 10hp up top and lose 10hp down low. The factory intakes flow plenty the only reason to ever change it is to change the power band. Look at some of this turbo stuff 1000rwhp on stock intakes that tells you they can move air.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jake99
Mid rise will make even less torque, the pro flow is a good intake for a stroker motor spinning to 7k or 6.0 going to 7000-7500, the holley is made to pull to 8k. These intakes and kind of like huge cams for these truck's, looks promising on a dyno but real world performance you gain 10hp up top and lose 10hp down low. The factory intakes flow plenty the only reason to ever change it is to change the power band. Look at some of this turbo stuff 1000rwhp on stock intakes that tells you they can move air.
thats what i figured. so changing from a stock intake to a tbss intake where will that move the power, mid range?

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Suggestions