Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

intake manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intake manifolds

whats goin on everyone figured id ask some members here since i keep getting different answers from everyone

right now ive got a 4.8 with a pretty stout cam, full bolt ons etc. pretty soon the new heads will be on, full point jump in CR and some other little odds and ends. at the moment ive got a tbss intake manifold stupidly used with the stock 78tb thats been ported and polished. everyone keeps telling me either go FAST or holley hi ram or even port the tbss. in all honesty i cant decide what the hell to do

thinking about the hi ram with the long runners i see it killing my lowend tq(which will probably help me out with my traction issue) but ive got a feeling itd be a dog down low with my 35s and pull hard in the topend. granted ill be picking up some tq from the jump in CR but id rather not lose it as for the fast ive seen/heard of people having issues with the fitment and other issues and feel like itd be too much for the 4.8

if anyone has any advice on what theyd do please feel free to chime in

thanks

T.J.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I would just keep the tbss and have it ported if your worried it is going to hold you back that much. You may also look into a 90mm tb to go with it as well.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat, except i have a CC 5.3 on 35s. I'm trying to find an intake that wont rob to much down low grunt because that's what i need to help me keep winning dig races lol.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

53 if i do keep the intake i was definitley gonna swap to a bigger tb. the 78s gotta be a huge restriction. in all honesty i think less tq would probably get me the less spin im needing but i def want more pull lol. and z71 it definitley takes more for us guys on big tires to get the goals we want. im .4 away from meeting my goal i set...**** needs to happen this summer lol
Old 12-04-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the intake and swap to a 90mm throttle body. Nothing else is worth the effort. More cubes or its not worth it.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gamble686
Keep the intake and swap to a 90mm throttle body. Nothing else is worth the effort. More cubes or its not worth it.
Yup, that should really help, as this seems to be one of the last remaining bottlenecks for your current setup.

From everything I've read, the aftermarket intakes aren't worth the money. A ported TBSS intake seems to be one of the best options for the cathedral port heads, but I'm just learning this stuff the last few months...so I'm just relaying information.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

think ill gain anything from the bigger tb? with how close i am to my goal i figured with the tb(retune if i need one) and traction aid i should hit my goal cam only. but i do want to surpass it. as for the manifold i guess ill just keep it then and mabey send it out for porting if need be. i have heard cons on the tbss boards though from the porting with pinholes or the intakes becoming too think and pretty much sucking themselves in
Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly you would barely benefit from porting your intake. That intake is already very good for a small cube motor. Swapping to a larger Tb will help with throttle response and help a lot on the top end.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well it looks like i know what im doing then lol probably start off with the throttle body udps then rip the heads off and hopefully have it tuned by next summer
Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've already cleaned up the casting on the ports on my NNBS intake, as I've read that it helps but doesn't take away from the structural rigidity.

I have heard good things about porting the plenum, but that's very involved for a plastic intake and can get pretty expensive when getting professionally done...but still might end up cheaper than an LSXRT manifold.

Quick Reply: intake manifolds