Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Merk
Man that spectre tube will clamp on to your oem box, no heat and looks neat
Main problem is that it's in constant contact with the radiator line, so that thing heats up like crazy! I put some heat wrap and it seems like it helped..somewhat.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard back from k&n about the tube. The rep told me it was a replacement tube for their complete kit (like was speculated in this thread).

What spectre part number connects to the stock box? Or more specifically which tube from them am I looking for?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

I bought one of the $20 ebay CAI. Used the tube and silicone couplers to the stock airbox. Worked great with the airbox opened up and a quality filter installed.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kemble
I bought one of the $20 ebay CAI. Used the tube and silicone couplers to the stock airbox. Worked great with the airbox opened up and a quality filter installed.
I think this is what I will do. Do you have any details about how you opened the stock box up?

Someone said that an 07+ air box is better as well. Is it worth tracking one down or really not worth it?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I think this is what I will do. Do you have any details about how you opened the stock box up?

Someone said that an 07+ air box is better as well. Is it worth tracking one down or really not worth it?
I just opened the box up with a cut off wheel on the side closest to the headlight area on the dirty side of the filter, not sure if it healped but did it anyways.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just buy some pipe at home depot and some of these silicone adapters if your going to part them together. also i wouldn't worry about cutting the air box as once you do you will be sucking up hot air inside the engine bay and it wouldn't be as good. it might start to pull timing as the temps rise. now if you take the time to plumb it so its also pulling from the out side like the tow hook hole that may work. i just don't see doing all the work when its only going to maybe give you 2hp if your lucky on the top end.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/stpg....=silicone_boot
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I figured it would pull in more hot air. I'm not really doing this for the power gain. Rather as an efficiency increase. I just want to pick up engine parts that will help improve efficiency the most.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Teching In

i put an airaid tube, filter and box in my truck and its a 2010 so if you want the box I took out your welcome to it, but I must say I love my set up, it helped a lot and I don't have to worry about water getting in the box and killing my engine like my friends do
Old 07-28-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by farmrowe1
i put an airaid tube, filter and box in my truck and its a 2010 so if you want the box I took out your welcome to it, but I must say I love my set up, it helped a lot and I don't have to worry about water getting in the box and killing my engine like my friends do
Is there a difference between my stock box and yours? I know they look similar based off memory. Not sure if and when they changed anything?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Volant cool air intake...$273.00 summit

Quick Reply: Intake questions