Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Intake/Throttle body problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake/Throttle body problem

I was switcing out my Ported TB back to my stocker this weekend. Was tightening the 3 nuts on the intake where the TB goes, and the top stud sheared and snapped. So now I am running with the TB held on by the 2 bottom bolts, It seems pretty tight and not running bad, at least not any worse than it has been, but I'm trying to figure out how to replace this. The stud doesn't go all the way through, I'm wondering if they are tap in studs that you can pull out and wedge another one in, or would I have to replace the entire intake?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SierraCrew
I was switcing out my Ported TB back to my stocker this weekend. Was tightening the 3 nuts on the intake where the TB goes, and the top stud sheared and snapped. So now I am running with the TB held on by the 2 bottom bolts, It seems pretty tight and not running bad, at least not any worse than it has been, but I'm trying to figure out how to replace this. The stud doesn't go all the way through, I'm wondering if they are tap in studs that you can pull out and wedge another one in, or would I have to replace the entire intake?
The three studs are threaded into the intake. Did you break it off flush with the intake or is some of the stud sticking out where you could grab it with a pair of pliers or something and just turn it out.

Last edited by KLUG'S SS; 08-22-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, there is about a 1/2 inch of thread sticking out of the intake. I can definitely grab hold of it. It pretty much broke off flush with the lip on the TB unit. So where can I get another stud to thread into its place? The dealership?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:18 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah, there is about a 1/2 inch of thread sticking out of the intake. I can definitely grab hold of it. It pretty much broke off flush with the lip on the TB unit. So where can I get another stud to thread into its place? The dealership?

Well at least you can grab ahold of it. Instead of the pliers you could always do the double nut trick on it. Thread two nuts onto the stud and tighten them back to back, this works pretty well for getting studs out also.

I would say that you will probably have to go to the dealership for the new stud.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the help Klug. I'll try that and try to go by the dealership here just after work.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the help Klug. I'll try that and try to go by the dealership here just after work.
No problem, I had to remove the studs on my intake before and they came out pretty easily so you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:28 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

hey curtis i have a spare if you need one.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Lance gave me some regular bolts to put back in mine after I took off the TB spacer and they seem to be working...
Old 08-23-2005, 01:09 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

go to ace hardware for stuff like that. way cheaper than dealorship and im willing to bet that they have the exact bolt that you need.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I found some yesterday. The dealership wanted 13 bucks each, I wanted to buy a few extras, just in case.

Quick Reply: Intake/Throttle body problem