Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

intercooler install progressing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and correct me if im wrong,,, if the tubing is too big, then boost will never be built up. and if its too small, then not enough air can be shoved through fast enough causing a loss of boost. so i believe 3 inch to be the majic number here.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Is that a Duramax intercooler?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, glad to see it is progressing. "Is it worth it"? YES!!! When you are able to slap on a 3.75" or 3.5" pulley and still have no knock it is Definitely worth it! I tis too bad it couldn't fit in front of the condensor. That is a monster air/air though so it will still get the job done plenty well.

The stock Whipple tubing is 3" It is the best number to go with. 3" will move up to 14psi+ just fine. Now you reach the more difficult part -the tubes.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

yes its a dodge intercooler, yeah,, too bad i couldnt move the ac condenser somewhere else. do you think it would help to put a small electric fan on the front to help move air to the intercooler? any ways, im wondering if i should still go my air reroute box idea, or use a shorter intake manifold like you did ryan,, can you give me teh low down on going that route? cost, where to get parts, how to do it , etc..... i would aprecciate it.. also im ready to mount my new injectors and am scared to death about doin that too. anyways, any suggestions are welcome! thanks for the help ive gotten so far guys!
Attached Thumbnails intercooler install progressing!-picture-002.jpg   intercooler install progressing!-picture-004.jpg  
Old 02-26-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

oh yeah,, ryan,, where is the best place to get a new pully? as soon as i get my injectors in, and get new pully, im gonna quit and take my truck to nelson tuning and have it professionaly tuned and dynoed. thanks!
Old 02-27-2004, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002-4.8
Is that a Duramax intercooler?
yes its a dodge intercooler

so is it a dodge or chevy intercooler?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

dodge = cummins
chevy = duramax

So I guess it is a cummins one then. Pretty cool that they fit our trucks.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bigguy, ya man I will lend everything I know. I am really interested in this build!!!

On the pulley, Whipple Industries is the only place I know to get them. My 3.5" pulley was $60 (shipped to my door was $75).

Plumbing design is the hard part. At first I was thinking you could get the bottom section of a Ford kit to go on the supercharger housing. It outlets the air on the opposits side as the GM. But then I think you would run into having to get the air inlet casing from a Ford kit also because of the routing difference between the Ford and GM bypass valve setups. So that idea went out the window...

Did you get the "stubby" MultecII injectors to fit the truck manifold, or did you get LS1 style injectors. I ask because if you wanted to go the LS1/6/X intake manifold route, you would have to either use LS1 style injectors or use custom fuel rails that would be able to fit the truck injectors that would still mount to the either the LS1, LS6, or the LSX intake manifolds. (If you went custom fuel rails, Nasty Performance Shop comes to mind, they could probably make one for you)
Also, If you went the LS1 manifold route you run in to having to move the accesories. To make the manifold fit. (A Spearco post comes to mind about this) I know they fit the LS1 manifold by rerouting the belt. here is the post but i think the pics are gone now. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...k+LS1+manifold

HERE are some other informative posts that go along with this build.
XLR8NSS's post about truck to LS1 style injectors:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?
t=86396&highlight=truck+LS1+manifold

My intercooler post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...k+LS1+manifold

My manifold swap post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...k+LS1+manifold

***I guess the key thing here is do you want to inlet into the intercooler on the drivers side or the passenger side? I would suggest the passenger side (no intake manifold swapping, less piping, much cleaner look. Now is it possible and how to do that -let me stare at my truck before tonight for a while
If you have ideas let me know -it might be easier to enter the intercooler from the drivers side and just route the plumbing in front of the alternator and down to the intercooler inlet. The main deal here is looking at the Whipple outlet and the inlet on the truck intake manifold...They are on the same plane almost. Therefore it is somewhat of a task to figure out how to route things. I'll try to think of stuff and post back.
Ryan
Old 02-27-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

here are 2 pictures of a prototype box that mounts to the intake. it redirects the whipple outlet forward, which can be directed to teh intercooler, then has a spot on th upper right side that the intercooler air will be returned and directed into the intake. im currently having a much better lookin model made from aluminum at a machine shop. im hopin that this will will work since its an easy bolt on. tell me what ya think.

and sorry bout the intercooler confusion... its a dodge cummins intercooler.
Attached Thumbnails intercooler install progressing!-intakedetailed.jpg   intercooler install progressing!-intakerear.jpg  
Old 02-27-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

i currently have some rc enginerring 8.1 marine injectors sittin on my shelf waiting to be installed.

Quick Reply: intercooler install progressing!