Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Internal engine cleaners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can put seafoam in your oil. the regular stuff not the deep creep. pour a can in and run for a couple hundred miles and then change your oil. dont be scared if your oil comes out looking way blacker than normal.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Launching!

you know, i work at this one stupid place, and we sell engine flushes in gallon form. that **** works wonders. i had a ticking truck come in, customer didnt have an oil change in 2 years... i asked why he couldnt tell me... so... poured the gallon of flush in, let it run for 15 minutes. and mind you there was not much oil that came out, and it was sludgy and blacker than the blackest black times infinity of black. looked like used diesel oil. well after that 15 minutes i drained it, chunks were coming out. oh, while it was running, you could hear the ticking go away little by little and by the time i drained it the truck was silent. so the flush came out black as can be. and yes i used a new filter during the flush and another one for the fresh oil. poured new oil in, ran it checked the level, we had a hard time seeing where the level was on the stick because it was so damn clean. we have that issue a lot after flushes. but um. this place is called jiffy lube. im trying to get out of there, hoping mercedes calls me but yea. we got some good flush.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

ive used sea foam a couple of times now in my SSS...sitting at 107,xxx miles at the moment. Im hoping when I do my heads/cam swap in a few weeks everything internally will be nice and squeaky clean as compared to an un-treated motor with 107,xxx miles. It sounds like this "Gunk" stuff is the way to really clean stuff up if youve got the motor out of the vehicle and disassembled. Id give it a try! Take some pics of the build and install if youve got the time.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

seafoam works on the top and bottom end. great stuff IMO.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

I use seafoam all the time in my Gas,Oil and I put it in my booster too... I usually run a whole can in the tank and put half of the other can in the oil and the other half in the booster. let it run for like 10 minutes, then let it sit for 10 minutes and start it again and it will usually start smoking or you will atleast see it taking all the moisture out of your fuel since your exhaust will be like steam and I had a good size puddle of water drippin out my tail pipe.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 262_NBS
this stuff?
http://www.hollanderproducts.com/b52.html

All I know is the Gunk will clean that block better than a hot tank and it doesn't etch/corrode aluminum parts like other acidic degreasers such as Formula 88 and Zep Industrial Purple.
I guess so ... I've never used it or ordered it an he's never posted a link to it, I would assume that this is the same stuff though.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
seafoam works on the top and bottom end. great stuff IMO.
ya i guess the OP didnt read the can, put it in your crankcase as well dude
Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Neenjah
ya i guess the OP didnt read the can, put it in your crankcase as well dude
Nope, Im illiterate. I asked because the LS motors use the new school bonded gaskets and not the old cork and rubber pieces. I didnt want it to react with the rubber and swell it and have a leak since I spent $300 on all new gaskets and seals.

As an update, I got it running and the oil pressure was all over the place. I let it idle for about an hour and drailed the oil and put fresh oil and a new filer in and all is well. I didnt use any "flush" stuff though. I just might as I have a temperamental lifter that ticks now and then.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Guess im the oddball, seafoam=snakeoil. Read the MSDS sheets for it and decide for yourself.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kemble
Guess im the oddball, seafoam=snakeoil. Read the MSDS sheets for it and decide for yourself.
While I won't call it snake oil, but all the white smoke that most people perceive as it "cleaning" is a misconception IMO.

Quick Reply: Internal engine cleaners?